Next pdpug meeting 9/22 (possible conflict with LinuxCon / Linux Plumber's conf)

已查看 2 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Dawn Foster

未读,
2009年9月8日 17:46:232009/9/8
收件人 Portland Data Plumbing
Our next pdpug meeting is scheduled for 9/22, which is during LinuxCon
and the Linux Plumber's conference. So here's what I need from all of
you:

1) Do you plan to attend pdpug on 9/22?
2) If so, do you have any suggestions for agenda items?

Thanks,
Dawn

marcus estes

未读,
2009年9月8日 17:50:302009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
I was planning to attend, and I thought I might even offer to present to the group on Pubsubhubbub (http://code.google.com/p/pubsubhubbub/), if there's interest.

It's really pretty cool. But this is also my first pdpug attendance, so I'm not sure if it's a good fit for the group's curiosities.
marcus

brian walsh

未读,
2009年9月8日 17:53:072009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
planning on being there ... pubsubhubbub sounds like a great topic

Amber Case

未读,
2009年9月8日 17:55:352009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Marcus,

I'd be interested in a short demo of Pubsubhubbub (awesome name).

This would be at Oracle, I'm assuming.
I would be able to be there, as I'm not going to LinuxCon.

-Amber

marcus estes

未读,
2009年9月8日 17:55:132009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
This would be at Oracle, I'm assuming.

OpenSourcery will be happy to host as well, if needed.

marcus

Alex Williams

未读,
2009年9月8日 17:57:472009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
i am super excited about a bunch of peopel saying pubsubhubbub for a few hours.
--
Alex Williams
http://alexhwilliams.com

Amber Case

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:00:122009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Any thoughts on Opensourcery hosting vs. Oracle?

Amber Case

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:06:582009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Yes ... I can see it now:

Alex: Pubsawhubbab?

Marcus: No, pubsubhubbub - pub...sub...hub...bub...

Alex: Ah! Punsubhubbub!

(Latecomer enters the room)

Marcus: Oh no! Not again!

Bram Pitoyo

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:13:502009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Pubsubhubbub is so tricky to pronounce, it needs its own spelling
protocol! :)

Amber Case

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:20:112009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Well, it seems like it describes the hubbub that one experiences in a
pub, but sub. So either a substitute of the hubbub one experiences in
a pub, or a subclass of that hubbub.

On Sep 8, 2009, at 3:13 PM, Bram Pitoyo wrote:

> Pubsubhubbub is so tricky to pronounce, it needs its own spelling
> protocol! :)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:26:552009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
I'll be at LinuxCon for the whole conference ;-)

PubSubHubbub?

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net

Pondering the pandemonium of pontificating and pandering to ponderous
pandas since 1999

Bram Pitoyo

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:31:042009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
> Well, it seems like it describes the hubbub that one experiences in a
> pub, but sub. So either a substitute of the hubbub one experiences in
> a pub, or a subclass of that hubbub.

But I tend to think of it as a pub inside a submarine!

Amber Case

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:37:082009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Oh no! So many more complexities have been added to the understanding
of this word!

The hubbub one experiences at a pub inside a submarine makes a lot of
sense. Subs ping and ecolocate, much like we do with RSS. Also, we
drink while we do this, especially at Beer and Blog, where our RSS
constructs do our heavy social sensing work for is. So if we're all
ecolocating and pinging things, that makes our computers subs, and our
social interactions pubs, and the rusulting hubbub of that is
PubSubHubbub! (Thanks to Ed for the CamelCasing).

-Amber

marcus estes

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:39:382009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
The hubbub one experiences at a pub inside a submarine makes a lot of
sense. Subs ping and ecolocate, much like we do with RSS. Also, we
drink while we do this, especially at Beer and Blog, where our RSS
constructs do our heavy social sensing work for is. So if we're all
ecolocating and pinging things, that makes our computers subs, and our
social interactions pubs, and the rusulting hubbub of that is
PubSubHubbub! (Thanks to Ed for the CamelCasing).

Well that dead-on description of the protocol pretty much just obviated the need for my talk.
Jeez, thanks a lot Amber!

-Sent from my submarine

Bram Pitoyo

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:48:342009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
> PubSubHubbub?

Put simply, PubSubHubbub is a pubsub (Publisher–Subscriber) messaging
protocol that extends the ATOM/RSS model (this was what “RSS 2.0” was
supposed to be, if you catch my drift.) This makes it really pertinent
to the Data Plumbing user group.

PubSubHubbub solves the real-time delivery problem (“I want the news
_right_ now” or how about “I want my lifestream to be delivered to my
friends right at this moment”) by making every ATOM or RSS file
declare a hub server.

You, as a reader, would subscribe to this hub server (the idea is
obviously to have these servers be run in a distributed and localized
manner.)

By making publishers declare a hub, subscribers can then avoid doing
the whole “asking the server directly” or “pull” action every few
minutes, which is a drain for the publisher’s server because they have
to go “no, there is nothing new” over and over again.

Instead, PubSubHubbub works by ways of “push”. Okay, we have this hub
server; so the next time a publisher post a new item, he will ping
this hub and say “hey, here’s a new item for”, and then the hub could
say “okay, thanks, now I will distribute it to all of your
subscriber’s client.”

No pulling teeth, faster delivery (well, theoretically) and everyone
is happy.

Bram Pitoyo

未读,
2009年9月8日 18:49:452009/9/8
收件人 portland-da...@googlegroups.com
> -Sent from my submarine

I will start putting this in my email signature. Just you wait.

回复全部
回复作者
转发
0 个新帖子