Propose Canceling the August pdpug Meeting

Dawn Foster

Aug 11, 2009, 12:07:21 PM8/11/09
to Portland Data Plumbing
Unless anyone objects, I propose canceling the August meeting. Most
UGs tend to be very lightly attended in August, since many people are
on vacation or just outside enjoying this lovely weather.

Any strong objections to canceling?

I'm also looking for agenda items for September, so feel free to send
those my way, too.

Thanks,
Dawn

Amber Case

Aug 11, 2009, 12:13:43 PM8/11/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you - it's a bit summery/hectic for me to attend. Looking
forward to August, though.
Amber Case
Cyborg Anthropologist
caseo...@gmail.com
http://oakhazelnut.com
http://www.twitter.com/caseorganic

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Aug 11, 2009, 12:27:42 PM8/11/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Yeah ... let's wait till September ... July was pretty sparse.
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://borasky-research.net

"I've always regarded nature as the clothing of God." ~Alan Hovhaness

marcus estes

Aug 11, 2009, 2:10:54 PM8/11/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
I haven't attended my first meeting yet, but I'll be patient until September:)

Would there be any interest in a presentation about using XMPP and Google's Pubsubhubbub protocals to develop notification frameworks for vast herds of feeds?

Marcus

Justin Kistner

Aug 11, 2009, 10:43:32 PM8/11/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't mind showing some cool things you can do with the RSS overlay in Webtrends Analytics 9. It's probably not a long enough topic for a whole meeting, but would compliment another presentation.

Also, whatever the topics may be we're open to host the September event at Webtrends.

Alex Williams

Aug 12, 2009, 12:46:53 AM8/12/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
Marcus - I'd definitely be interested.

Has anyone been looking at RSSCloud.org?

Alex.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:10 AM, marcus estes <marc...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Alex Williams
http://alexhwilliams.com

marcus estes

Aug 12, 2009, 5:58:15 PM8/12/09
to portland-da...@googlegroups.com
> Has anyone been looking at RSSCloud.org?

Yes, but it's hard to look past the classic Winer huffery lining the
edges. I believe he's been out-engineered by the whipper snapper
engineering duo at Google (Brad Fitzpatrick and Brett Slatkin) who
built pubsubhubbub as a bench project.

Pubsubhubbub (can we just say PSHB?) builds upon the smart publication
specs from RSSCloud, but adds a framework for real-time client
notification. You could do this with RSSCloud too, but the PSHB option
is more full service. And there are already a few implementations
cropping up in the wild.

Here's a blog post itemizing a feature comparison:

PubSubHubbub = rssCloud + ping ?
http://jy.typepad.com/jy/2009/07/pubsubhubbub-rsscloud.html

Marcus