Bug in easy_install?

Jens

Nov 11, 2013, 8:51:52 AM11/11/13
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I just installed Portable Python 3.2.5.1 and started in a windows cmd shell with:

"<mypath>\PortablePython3.2.5.1\App\Scripts>..\python.exe easy_install.py PyOpenGL" to install PyOpenGL, which I need for visvis 1)

But the following error occurred:
  File "c:\DataJSp\PortProgFix\PortablePython3.2.5.1\App\lib\site-packages\setuptools\dist.py", line 103
    except ValueError, e:
                     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I get the same error if I use "<mypath>\python setup.py install"  inside the unzip PyOpenGL-3.0.2 source path.

Can somebody check it for me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jens

werner...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2013, 2:04:24 AM11/13/13
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
Simply use easy_install.exe as shown below. I'm using PortablePython 2.7.5 installed to c:\Python27 on Windows.

c:\Python27\App\Scripts\easy_install.exe  zope.interface
c:\Python27\App\Scripts\easy_install.exe  twisted
c:\Python27\App\Scripts\easy_install.exe  avro
c:\Python27\App\Scripts\easy_install.exe sqlalchemy

Some of the modules might require the MS Visual Studio 2008 Express C/C++ compiler. If installed, run the following command before running easy_install.exe

pushd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\Tools"
call vsvars32.bat
popd

Good luck!

Werner

Edward Reed

Jun 16, 2014, 1:37:59 PM6/16/14
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
Portable Python 3.2.5.1 doesn't seem to install easy_install.exe.

diegoma...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2014, 7:18:20 PM10/2/14
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
You are right, does not seem to install the exe and leaves a <2.6 version of easy_install which is on ".\App\Scripts\setuptools\command\easy_install.py"

The error you are seeing is a python2 format for exception which has changed for python3. See this link for explanation in that change: https://docs.python.org/3/howto/pyporting.html#capturing-the-currently-raised-exception

However, is not the only thing you'll find out as 2to3 diff attached shows.

My guess is that these scripts that are not in the main library haven't been converted properly. This may also cause the packaging process to convert it into an .exe file to fail which explain why is not there.

I am not very familiar with the project itself, does anyone know where a bug report can be filled? I could even try to fix the build script if it's out there.
diff.txt