Path of easy install not working.

Marco Scataglini

Mar 31, 2014, 12:08:38 AM3/31/14
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
I love Portable Python the only problem I have is that it seems that easy install does not know where python itself is many packages fail to compile/install... there is always that "Path" error.
I wanted pywallet.py so I needed twisted and so I tried to install the MS Visual c++ 2008 express and mingw32 and they are ok, but the fail come when after compiling it does not know where is the actual Python directory.
Could we add something or at least write a readme instructions to make it work? I mean that is proper for Portable Python and we can all follow.

Perica Zivkovic

Mar 31, 2014, 12:18:48 PM3/31/14
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
On the command prompt before starting application that needs python path you can always temporarily add portable python location to path or pythonpath depending which one you need.

To append to path and keep entries you already have you can do:
PATH=%PATH%;[put here portable python path including Apps folder];

Perica Zivkovic

Apr 19, 2014, 6:27:31 PM4/19/14
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
Added easy-install usage steps to documentation http://portablepython.com/doc/2.7/easy-install/

Piergiorgio Pancino

May 9, 2014, 2:46:04 AM5/9/14
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
If you have path problems, you can use the batch file I posted some time ago.
here is the code, simply save as pypat.bat in the portablePython directory (the same as Python-Portable.exe)
than every time you use command line simply launch pypath

@echo off
@echo -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
@echo TYPE pypath assoc with admin rights to associate .py files to portable-python
@echo -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

if NOT "%1" == "assoc" (
goto path_set
)

:check_Permissions
    echo assoc option selected:
    echo Administrative permissions required. Detecting permissions...

    net session >nul 2>&1
    if %errorLevel% EQU 0 (
        echo Success: Administrative permissions confirmed.
goto assoc_py_file
    ) else (
        echo Failure: Current permissions inadequate.
goto path_set
    )

    pause >nul

:assoc_py_file

Assoc .py=pythonFile
ftype pythonfile =%~dp0App\python.exe "%1" %*

:path_set
PATH=%~dp0;%~dp0App;%~dp0Scripts;%path%
echo PATH
echo %PATH%