Launch IDE and iPython - PortablePython 3.2.5.1

Royi A

Apr 28, 2015, 4:24:27 PM4/28/15
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
I'm doing my first steps with Python.

I downloaded PortablePython 3.2.5.1.
Installed it on my drive.

Now I go to the folder "Portable Python 3.2.5.1" and see 5 executables.

Does it have something like MATLAB IDE to launch?
How can I launch iPython notebook?

Thank You.

Royi A

May 11, 2015, 6:47:21 AM5/11/15
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
Anyone could assist me?
I really want to start working with this.

Thank You.

Perica Zivkovic

May 11, 2015, 3:39:34 PM5/11/15
to portabl...@googlegroups.com, avita...@gmail.com
Did you tried any of the executables? :-) After all there is only 5...

PyScripter would be a good place to start as it is simple small and nice IDE

Royi A

May 12, 2015, 4:52:52 AM5/12/15
to portabl...@googlegroups.com, avita...@gmail.com
Hi Perica,

I downloaded the Portable version from the site - version 3.2.5.1.

I have a folder with the name "Portable Python 3.2.5.1" with 5 executeables in it.
I tried running any of them, none of them launch an IDE (Something like MATLAB).
All of them ends up with Python Shell (Besides the QT and PyScripter).

My question is how do I use iPython?

Is there any IDE I can use?

By the way, this is not really portable version as those files do write stuff into my personal folders in Windows.

Perica Zivkovic

May 13, 2015, 3:30:03 PM5/13/15
to portabl...@googlegroups.com, avita...@gmail.com
Hi Royi,

IPython included in the 3.2.5.1 supports only IPython Shell. IPython notebook is not officially supported but if you search this group a bit you will see that some people found workarounds to run it, e.g.:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/portablepython/notebook/portablepython/x7fmVaoFHJE/4XqrT7MfOlAJ

Like already mentioned, PyScripter is an IDE - try to use it is quite good.

Thanks for reporting issues with portability, could you provide a bit more information what "stuff" is written and in which folders so that I can look into that for next version?