How to start a django application?

Kabads

Mar 12, 2008, 6:27:09 AM3/12/08
to PortablePython
Thanks for portable python - it looks like it's just what I need at
the moment.

What's the best way to start a django application using portable
python? I've been using Django in a server environment, but I'd really
like to have it portable to save hassle whilst I'm away from the
server.

As you can tell, I'm pretty new to portable python, so any help is
appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

Perica Zivkovic

Mar 12, 2008, 9:40:41 AM3/12/08
to PortablePython
Hi there,

you can have dhango apps portable with no problems. place them on your
usb stick and run them with PP like this:
- start PP script runner (PortablePython.bat in the root of your PP
installation)
- click green plus button and select manage.py script from your django
app
- in the script arguments box type "runserver" without quotes
- leave "run in separate process" checked
- click ok and you will see script added to script runner (like this
you can have more different projects in the list)
- select script in the list and click on the green arrow button (run
selected script)

after this you will see command prompt box starting with validating
models... etc and your django app will be running if your model is
validating ok :)

keep pythoning!

Perica

Danielson Xavier

Oct 7, 2013, 3:59:59 PM10/7/13
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
I have downloaded the Portable Python 2.7.5.1 and I do not see any portablepython.bat in my root directory... I am using Windows and i getting invalid syntax in trying to do django-admin.py startproject mysite. Please help. I have to download the Portable Django too?

HiFido

Nov 25, 2013, 4:52:56 PM11/25/13
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
I have also the same problem ! It's very important that Python-Portable.exe pass the parameter down to the child ...

Many thanks for any response,
  H. Fidon

Ivan Skelin

Apr 16, 2014, 4:35:11 PM4/16/14
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
I have the same problem with running django-admin.py

django wiki is suggesting following

Perica Zivkovic

Apr 19, 2014, 5:52:42 PM4/19/14
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
Portable Python is a portable application so you need to specify full path to python interpreter. I have added simple documentation page that explains how to use it.

Ramesh Reddy

Jan 21, 2015, 4:56:52 AM1/21/15
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
I am struggling to run the django-admin.py script to create a new project etc. And yes, I tried using the full path of the scripts, python etc.

Can anyone create a django project successfully?

Perica Zivkovic

Jan 22, 2015, 12:57:48 PM1/22/15
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
You don't need full path to python, you need to use Python-Portable.exe

Check documentation online on the Portable Python website: http://portablepython.com/doc/2.7/django/

let me know if that does not work for you.