Portable Python without installer

Sergey Khorev

Sep 11, 2011, 9:45:50 AM9/11/11
to PortablePython
Hi,

I am wondering what PortablePython installer does? If it merely
extracts file to some location why not distribute zip files? This will
help users which are not allowed to download executables.

Also what Python-Portable.exe and Python-Portable.exe are for? Do they
setup some registry keys or something like that?

Perica Zivkovic

Sep 11, 2011, 1:33:11 PM9/11/11
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

installer just extracts the files. It is better than zip file as it allows the users to select packages to be installed. Very handy for users that want only base installation with lots of packages. If you don't have rights to download executable's, you can download it at home, put it on USB key and use it on machines where you have limited access. You don't need to do entire process on machines with limited access.

Python-Portable.exe and PyScripter-Portable.exe are shortcuts that are passing correct parameters for Python and PyScripter executable's so that they can be used in portable mode.

Nat

Sep 30, 2011, 12:51:47 PM9/30/11
to PortablePython
On Sep 11, 1:33 pm, Perica Zivkovic <perica.zivko...@gmail.com> wrote:

> installer just extracts the files. It is better than zip file as it allows
> the users to select packages to be installed.

How would I select packages from the "Portable Python 1.1 - based on
Python 2.6.1" installer? I didn't see any UI for doing that.

Better still, is there syntax that would allow me to run that
installer on the command line and select the target directory and
specific packages using command-line arguments?

Perica Zivkovic

Sep 30, 2011, 12:54:59 PM9/30/11
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
Selecting the packages is new feature enabled in 3.2 and 2.7 installers. It does not work in 2.6.1. It is not possible to provide command line parameters.

Nathan McCorkle

Apr 11, 2014, 8:23:01 PM4/11/14

On Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:33:11 AM UTC-7, Perica Zivkovic wrote:

Python-Portable.exe and PyScripter-Portable.exe are shortcuts that are passing correct parameters for Python and PyScripter executable's so that they can be used in portable mode.

Can you elaborate on the options passed? I want to bypass the splash screen and only call python.exe, but this is failing for some DLL on import win32api  (even though the App folder is in the PATH).

Perica Zivkovic

Apr 12, 2014, 1:24:13 AM4/12/14
to portabl...@googlegroups.com
 It is quite simple actually, only [ROOT]\App folder gets added to PYTHONPATH and PATH env variables. So in your case you need to add it to PYTHONPATH and it should work.

here is related thread where I explain the same.

hope it helps!