Thank you for your work, here is the new kid on the block! Portable Listings

Alberto Attilio Reggiori

Mar 14, 2011, 1:34:37 PM3/14/11
to portable...@googlegroups.com, portable...@googlegroups.com

Dear Portable Contacts community

first of all nice to meet you

my name is Alberto Reggiori, and I am the author of the Portable Listings spec "a JSON document format and API for accessing audiovisual content metadata over HTTP"

http://www.portablelistings.net

I thought I would write a note to thank you all, and secondly to inform you about other PoCo related developments that you may be interested to hear about.

The Portable Listings work would not be possible without the inspiring and seminal work of Joseph Smarr and other Open Stack community fellows and the Portable Contacts specification. Thanks a million! Either the document structure, design principles, the pragmatism and simplicity of the Portable Contacts specification has been a key inspiration and guidance to start designing a similar specification for a fairly different domain.

We believe that with the advent of HTML5 Video and the everyday growing number of video and television services on the Web create the ideal conditions for developing a common, open spec similar to PoCo but applied to audio-visual resources. We also strongly believe that based on PoCo and OpenSocial past (and present!) success there lay an opportunity to connect television and brodcast industry services in a similar fashion.

More on the technical side of things, we decided to use the PoCo JSON format (not the API for the moment) to express any person, organisation or group information related to television programmes or other related pieces of content (e.g. contributors such as 'director', 'actor', 'publisher' and so on).

Last, we are working on a first reference implementation of the specification and we will share more material when available for more general consumption.

comments, feedback, corrections and suggestions more than welcome!

thank you again

with kind regards

Alberto Reggiori