please join the renewed PoCo vs. vCard4/XML convergence debate!

Joseph Smarr

Sep 8, 2010, 9:12:11 PM9/8/10
to portable...@googlegroups.com, Tantek Çelik, Kevin Marks, David Glazer, Rohit Khare, Chris Messina, Allen Tom, Will Norris, Evan Gilbert
Hi guys, for those of you not following the IETF's vCard 4 and vCard XML working groups, you may recall that we spent some time about a year ago trying to converge their proposed schema with PoCo, but not much ended up happening. Since then, the W3C has adopted the PoCo schema for their W3C Contacts API, and a number of additional services have added PoCo support, so we recently brought the topic up again to re-consider if/how to better converge our specs. See http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/vcarddav/current/msg01668.html (and subsequent replies) for the current thread.

At the heart of the issue is whether our decisions in PoCo to favor simplicity and readability over maximizing flexibility and uniformity make sense in the context of the next version of vCard (and its proposed XML serialization). There's a healthy debate to be had (which we had in this group when designing PoCo, but which hasn't been had as vigorously within the vCard working group yet), so if you're passionate about our design principles, you have a real chance here to help shape the future of vCard, which is still the most widely recognized contact standard.

So please join the discussion ASAP and voice your opinion! :)

Thanks, js

PS: For context, here is the current proposal for vCard 4: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-13 and here is the proposed XML format: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-05 and here is the proposed "social networking extension": http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-george-vcarddav-vcard-extension-02.

Simon Perreault

Sep 9, 2010, 8:23:29 AM9/9/10
On 2010-09-08 21:12, Joseph Smarr wrote:
> PS: For context, here is the current proposal for vCard
> 4: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-13 and here
> is the proposed XML
> format: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardxml-05 and

> here is the proposed "social networking
> extension": http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-george-vcarddav-vcard-extension-02.

Note that the social networking extensions have not been adopted as a
working-group document. So far, it's just "one person's thoughts".

Simon
--
NAT64/DNS64 open-source --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server --> http://numb.viagenie.ca

Mark W.

Sep 25, 2010, 11:38:47 AM9/25/10
to PortableContacts, opensocial-an...@googlegroups.com
Joseph,

Thanks for getting this on the list and I apologize for just seeing it
now. I'm cross posting this to the OpenSocial API group as well.
Because OpenSocial leverages PoCo, I think alignment with vCard is
very important. I will try to take a look at this and also see if
there's someone in IBM that tracking this.

To the folks on the OpenSocial list... Is there anyone that
participates in the vCard group or has some cycles to pay a bit more
attention to this from an OpenSocial perspective?

-Mark W.