Poco Support for Mailing List

Li

Jan 12, 2011, 3:14:12 PM1/12/11
to PortableContacts

In my company (Aol), we have a 'mailing list' concept as part of our
address book. I am wondering how Poco standard is currently supporting
it. Below is a rough example of the difference between contact data
and mailing list. Thanks.

Contact
======
Id: 10
Name: John Doe
HomeEmail: ho...@gmail.com
WorkEmail: wo...@yahoo.com
HomePhone: 7032229999
Postal Address: 12000 West St., Dulles, VA 20165

Mail List
=======
Id: 11
Name: My Friend

One or more Mail List Contact
=======================
List Id: 11
Contact Id: 10

Two Mail List Email Items
====================
Id: 12
List Id: 11
Email: mybr...@gmail.com

Id 13
List Id: 11
Email: mysi...@gmail.com

Joseph Smarr

Jan 12, 2011, 4:46:46 PM1/12/11
to portable...@googlegroups.com
Hi Li, can I ask two clarifying questions:

1) Besides the Id and Name, do you need to represent any additional meta-data about the mailing list itself? I ask because if it's just id/name, you could potentially just use a "tag" (i.e. category label) on the contacts themselves, but if you need to represent additional metadata (such as a description, photo, creation date, or other such details) then you'll need some extra place to store that in the schema.

2) Are the "List Email Items" in your example stored only "inside the mailing list" and not otherwise in the user's address book? And if so, is it a requirement that they NOT be returned in the full address book list (e.g. with a label for the group)? If so, you'll need some separate argument in the API path or query string to say "return the contacts in mailing list 11, as opposed to the normal contacts".

Thanks, js

PS: I've heard a number of rumblings over the past several months that "PoCo needs better group support". If any of your rumblers are watching this thread, please pipe in with what you'd like to see here! :)

Li

Jan 12, 2011, 5:13:17 PM1/12/11
to PortableContacts

For your first question, let me give you the data model (3 DB tables)
we have regarding Mail List. Obviously we have more info for each of
the three entities. We need a Poco standard way to represent the data
to relate them so that the consumers can perform query, and update.

dist_list
=============
*bucket_id int
*user_id int
*list_id int
chg_num int
list_name varchar
tags varchar
record_id int
delete_set_time datetime

dist_list_emails
===============
*bucket_id int
*user_id int
*list_id int
*record_id int
chg_num int
email_addr varchar
delete_set_time datetime

dist_list_contacts
================
*bucket_id int
*user_id int
*list_id int
*contact_record_id int
chg_num int
record_id int
delete_set_time

Secondly, from the data model, the email items are stored separated as
separate rows in dist_list_emails table. We want to return to the
client both the mail list folder information and each contact and
email items inside the folder.

Please let me know if I am answering all your questions. Let me know

Thanks a lot