PoCo Gmail support - get email addresses

russx2

Jan 24, 2011, 2:48:00 PM1/24/11
to PortableContacts
Hi there,

I've implemented a basic PoCo test using Google's OpenSocial PHP
library with the intent of accessing the list of contacts available.
Despite playing around with which fields are returned etc. (e.g.
fields = '@all') I can not seem to get the email addresses for the
contacts.

I've seen mention of people having a similar issue but I can't find a
definitive "You can't get email addresses using this API". I could
understand if this is due to privacy issues etc. However, another
quick test I knocked up using AuthSub (with a single token access)
returns me all of a user's Gmail contacts emails.

Why would this be available with one API and not the other? Perhaps
I'm missing the point of PoCo - but without email addresses, what real
use is the data?

Hoping someone can clarify this for me. Thanks in advance.

Russ

Joseph Smarr

Jan 24, 2011, 4:07:15 PM1/24/11
to portable...@googlegroups.com
Weird, that used to work fine, but it doesn't seem to currently be returning email addresses. Not sure if that's intentional or not--last time I checked, Google's PoCo was supposed to return all the same data that the normal GData Contacts API would return, and that includes e-mail addresses (it's *your* address book data, after all!). Lemme investigate, and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks for bringing this to my attention! js

Ruturaj Dhekane

Jan 24, 2011, 4:29:49 PM1/24/11
to portable...@googlegroups.com
Yes I have faced this problem too.. and its been there for sometime now..

Dan Brickley

Jan 24, 2011, 5:23:22 PM1/24/11
On 24 January 2011 22:29, Ruturaj Dhekane <rutu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes I have faced this problem too.. and its been there for sometime now..

Are the PoCo interfaces to Gmail ... under-advertised? I'm suprised
there weren't more instant complaints as soon as things broke...

cheers,

Dan

Joseph Smarr

Jan 24, 2011, 6:37:49 PM1/24/11
to portable...@googlegroups.com
A lot of people still use the proprietary GData Contacts API (classic chicken-egg problem: until more other providers support PoCo, there's less incentive for developers to code to the standard vs. one-off APIs).

Joseph Smarr

Feb 8, 2011, 12:54:31 PM2/8/11
to PortableContacts
Sorry for the delay, but this was indeed a bug in Google's code, and a
fix has now been pushed live. You should once again be able to get all
the e-mail addresses of your contacts when you access your address
book via Google's Portable Contacts API.

Thanks again for the report, and happy hacking! :) js