Installation error: non-zero exit status of igraph and adegenet

Riley A Buchanan

Sep 12, 2023, 5:03:16 PM9/12/23
to poppr
Hello, I'm trying to install poppr. My R version is 3.6.0 and when I try to install poppr by install.packages("poppr") I get the error of:

Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘igraph’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
 unable to load shared object '/raid1/home/bpp/buchanri/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.6/00LOCK-igraph/00new/igraph/libs/igraph.so':
  libicui18n.so.72: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error: loading failed
Execution halted
ERROR: loading failed
* removing ‘/raid1/home/bpp/buchanri/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.6/igraph’
ERROR: dependency ‘igraph’ is not available for package ‘adegenet’
* removing ‘/raid1/home/bpp/buchanri/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.6/adegenet’
ERROR: dependencies ‘adegenet’, ‘igraph’ are not available for package ‘poppr’
* removing ‘/raid1/home/bpp/buchanri/R/x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-library/3.6/poppr’

The downloaded source packages are in
        ‘/tmp/RtmpbEWera/downloaded_packages’
Warning messages:
1: In install.packages("poppr") :
  installation of package ‘igraph’ had non-zero exit status
2: In install.packages("poppr") :
  installation of package ‘adegenet’ had non-zero exit status
3: In install.packages("poppr") :
  installation of package ‘poppr’ had non-zero exit status

I have tried installing igraph and adegenet separately but with same error, any thoughts?

Zhian Kamvar

Nov 11, 2023, 3:06:37 PM11/11/23
to Riley A Buchanan, poppr
This is an error that you do not have the libicui18n C library, which is required by the {stringi} package, which is a deep dependency of poppr.
The author of stringi has provided instructions for installing: https://stringi.gagolewski.com/install.html and you are going to have to install it from your system's package manager or request its installation. I believe that it _should_ be possible because this particular package is common to many data analysis tasks, but I also know that the OSU CGRB is pretty strict with the software they allow to run on the servers (case in point, I had to do a weird workaround to get C++11 in 2016). I wish you the best of luck.