port 25 starttls secure connection?

scherevko

Mar 19, 2019, 3:25:23 PM3/19/19
to Ponyrb
I use code similar to this:

Pony.mail(:to => 'y...@example.com', :via => :smtp, :via_options => {
  :address              => 'smtp.my_server.com',
  :port                 => '25',
  :enable_starttls_auto => true,
  :user_name            => 'user',
  :password             => 'MY PASSWORD',
  :authentication       => :plain,
  :domain               => "localhost.localdomain"
})
where port is 25 and starttls is activated.
smtp.my_server.com shows 250 STARTTLS or SSL_Session info when I run openssl tests.

Does this ensure that I will get a secure connection at the end, in other words, will be this an Explicit SSL connection.
Thanks!

Ben Prew

Mar 19, 2019, 3:36:14 PM3/19/19
to Ponyrb
STARTTLS over port 25 will likely start as plaintext, but upgrade to TLS.  You could confirm by telnet-ing to port 25 and issuing HELO, if you get a response, it means the server will accept plaintext connection and upgrade them.  If you don't get a response, it means you're on an SSL only connection.

See:

scherevko

Mar 20, 2019, 8:21:07 AM3/20/19
to Ponyrb