For those inclined to observe 9/11 with ritual

Brandon

Sep 10, 2010, 11:21:03 AM9/10/10
to polytheist charity

Eirene, spirit of Peace

Afghans protest against pastor Terry Jones' proposed burning of Korans on 9/11 tomorrow.  Photo by Rahmat Gul/Associated Press

This 9/11 anniversary seems particularly heated, with the mosque near ground zero controversy, the official end of U.S. involvement in Iraq, our continued involvement in Afghanistan, and now this Florida pastor who has resolved to burn copies of the Koran on 9/11.

For those inclined to observe with ritual, I will be joining you by lighting a candle in honor of the three Horai: Eirene or Peace, Eunomia or Order/Good-pasture, and Dike or Justice.  I will also be reading from the final book of the Iliad, Book 24, where Achilles finally lays to rest his wrath and allows King Priam to take home the violated body of his beloved son Hector.  The scene seems particularly pertinent at this time after a long, and some may say uncalled-for, period of vengeance for what was done on 9/11.  Like Achilles, we must recognize the need for resolution, the need to lay aside wrath and make peace.

Not to be forgotten is the other side, the perspective of that minority of Muslims who violently oppose Western influence.  That perspective should not be distorted, neither by excess anger nor excess sympathy, but acknowledged for what it is. Finally, let us all hope for a peaceful resolution.

Pastor wavers on plans to burn Koran   NY Times article

Protests against Koran burning turn violent   NY Times article