Welcome

Brandon

Mar 12, 2009, 10:21:44 AM3/12/09
to polytheist charity
Hi David,

Welcome to the group.  I have some interest in the Sumerian pantheon as well, mainly the Inanna myths.

>I'm really interested in charitable activities and have volunteered a lot (not 'cause of my religion, it's just who I am).  Personally, I'm very interested in the work you've started to do, and hope I can help in any way.

One of the things you can help with immediately is posting recommendable charities.  If there are any favorites you prefer, let us know about them--with links and short descriptions, if you can.  These help build a storehouse of good charities related to specific gods and goddesses, which might then be referenced for devotional purposes.  We have been putting these charities on the Charities by Deity page.  It is all Hellenic so far, but we don't necessarily mean to keep it that way.  I've just created a page for non-Hellenic deities, and if entries grow large enough to warrant a separate page for a given pantheon, that can be done.

But charitable donations are not the only means of devotional giving, of course.  There's also volunteering, service, raising awareness, caring for others, and many other ways, and I hope we can build a library of different ideas by sharing our personal experiences of these things.  Feel free to share.

Finally, I recently posted an inquiry about what we're all interested in and what direction we want to take this group.  There hasn't been much response yet, as this is a new group and we're still finding our feet (and our membership).  So please chime in with your interests and ideas for direction.  I started this group, but I would prefer not to make all decisions unilaterally if I can help it.  ;-)

>The Sumerian Gods do favour charitable work, and look kindly on those that do it (it also has something to do with the law of hospitality, which were/are very important in the Middle East).

How so?  Are there historical references you can point to?  I ask because we're interested in building up polytheist source materials in support of charity, humanitarianism, and so forth.  See the "Primary Sources in Support of Charity" page, for example.

Brandon in Japan

David

Mar 23, 2009, 9:18:11 PM3/23/09
to Polytheist Charity
Hi Brandon, thanks for the welcome, I'm mainly a worshipper of
Ereshkigal myself, but, I do quite like the Inanna Myths, she's a
strong independent Goddess who does what she wants to do, regardless
of what others want.

On Mar 12, 2:21 pm, Brandon <brandonmademed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Welcome to the group.  I have some interest in the Sumerian pantheon as
> well, mainly the Inanna myths.
>
> >I'm really interested in charitable activities and have volunteered a lot
>
> (not 'cause of my religion, it's just who I am).  Personally, I'm very
> interested in the work you've started to do, and hope I can help in any way.
>
> One of the things you can help with immediately is posting recommendable
> charities.  If there are any favorites you prefer, let us know about
> them--with links and short descriptions, if you can.  These help build a
> storehouse of good charities related to specific gods and goddesses, which
> might then be referenced for devotional purposes.  We have been putting
> these charities on the Charities by Deity page.  It is all Hellenic so far,
> but we don't necessarily mean to keep it that way.  I've just created a page
> for non-Hellenic deities, and if entries grow large enough to warrant a
> separate page for a given pantheon, that can be done.

That's something I will do, I've already got a few ideas, I'll try and
post some things tomorrow sometime.

> But charitable donations are not the only means of devotional giving, of
> course.  There's also volunteering, service, raising awareness, caring for
> others, and many other ways, and I hope we can build a library of different
> ideas by sharing our personal experiences of these things.  Feel free to
> share.
>
> Finally, I recently posted an inquiry about what we're all interested in and
> what direction we want to take this group.  There hasn't been much response
> yet, as this is a new group and we're still finding our feet (and our
> membership).  So please chime in with your interests and ideas for
> direction.  I started this group, but I would prefer not to make all
> decisions unilaterally if I can help it.  ;-)

Sure, I'll do what I can.

> >The Sumerian Gods do favour charitable work, and look kindly on those that
>
> do it (it also has something to do with the law of hospitality, which
> were/are very important in the Middle East).
>
> How so?  Are there historical references you can point to?  I ask because
> we're interested in building up polytheist source materials in support of
> charity, humanitarianism, and so forth.  See the "Primary Sources in Support
> of Charity" page, for example.
>
> Brandon in Japan

I'll do what I can, but, I haven't got all the info in front of me
right now (it's about 1am in the morning over here, and I've just come
back from holiday, so, I'm quite tired!), but, many of the Gods, but,
especially Enki and Utu (Enki is the God of water, magic, and wisdom,
and, also, a bit of a Trickster-type deity) and Utu is the Sun God and
giver of law to humanity, are said to promote justice, defend the
weak, widows and orphans and destroy the wicked (see 'Gods, Demons and
Symbols of Ancient Mesopotamia - An Illustrated Dictionary' by Jeremy
Black & Anthony Green, p.98), in many of the hymns to various Gods,
their charitable nature is praised, and Ereshkigal, the Goddess of the
Netherworld, is said to cry for all children that die before their
time (and those kids are especially treated right and cared for within
Kur, the netherworld) and others are as well. I'll, hopefully, be
getting another book on Mesopotamian religion soon, so, that,
hopefully, may provide more sources, but, I'll definitely let the
group know what I find out, 'cause, I really think it's a good idea to
show why charity and volunteering are good (aside from the obvious
part, in that it's the right thing to do, if you can help someone).

I think I remember reading some of those Primary Sources, they were
quite cool quotes, and I really admired them.

I, personally, really hope this group grows, as I think it has the
potential to do a lot of good and reach a lot of people. I'll help
where I can.

David.

Brandon

Mar 24, 2009, 9:36:49 AM3/24/09
to polytheist charity
David:

>I, personally, really hope this group grows, as I think it has the
potential to do a lot of good and reach a lot of people.  I'll help
where I can.

Thanks!  And welcome back from your vacation.  :-)

I'm keeping busy promoting the Genocide Prevention Ritual project right now.  Check out the web site and youtube videos!

http://genocidepreventionritual.weebly.com

Brandon