Website Bower installation instructions do not include Polymer/core-element and Polymer/paper-element

Will Hopkins

Nov 28, 2014, 2:56:42 PM11/28/14
to polym...@googlegroups.com
Hi I noticed that the bower installation instructions on the website have been updated as of 0.5.1. They do not show installing the core-element and paper-element packages. I believe these should be included as for a novice this is not obvious.

The same comment goes for the creating reusable elements packaging instructions when discussing populating the development directory.

Rob Dodson

Dec 4, 2014, 8:41:23 PM12/4/14
to Will Hopkins, Arthur Evans, polymer-dev
Arthur, any thoughts on this?

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Will Hopkins <williamr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi I noticed that the bower installation instructions on the website have been updated as of 0.5.1. They do not show installing the core-element and paper-element packages. I believe these should be included as for a novice this is not obvious.

The same comment goes for the creating reusable elements packaging instructions when discussing populating the development directory.

Follow Polymer on Google+: plus.google.com/107187849809354688692
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Polymer" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polymer-dev/04dd7170-9ea5-4bf7-9de0-642a4906d1e3%40googlegroups.com.

Arthur Evans

Dec 4, 2014, 9:30:19 PM12/4/14
to Rob Dodson, Will Hopkins, polymer-dev
Sorry, I missed the original message.

We're trying to make the line clearer between Polymer (the library) and the various element sets.

Previously, the examples in the Getting the code section were all related to getting the core and paper element sets, which suggested that these were an essential part of Polymer. Of course, they aren't -- they're just one possible set of elements built using Polymer.

This also made the installation instructions for Polymer itself unduly complicated.

As part of the 0.5.1 release, I separated out the element install instructions into the Using elements guide, and streamlined the Polymer installations steps.

There is a note at the top of Getting the code that points people to the Using elements guide, but I think it's pretty easy to miss. Did you see this note? If it was more prominent, do you think it would help?

We could also add another pointer at the end of the doc (the "Next steps" section) so there's a clear path forward for people wanting to install the elements.

In general I think we want to keep the Polymer & elements installs as separate as possible, but I welcome any suggestions for making the process easier.

Thanks,
Arthur