Kitchen Sink Sample App? Polymer Custom Build? and More

u.krish...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2013, 12:58:10 AM11/8/13
to polym...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is there a kitchen sink sample app for Polymer?

I am afraid, it is still not clear to me as how you can write a full fledged app using  Polymer.

Will there not be a separate CSS file in Polymer?

How do you bind events? How can I NOT have something a JS library like JQuery to handle these?

How is shadow DOM different from document.createDocumentFragment()?

Thanks in advance

Eric Bidelman

Nov 8, 2013, 8:02:52 PM11/8/13
to u.krish...@gmail.com, polymer-dev
Hi,

Some of these questions are great for Stack Overflow :)

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:58 PM, <u.krish...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

Is there a kitchen sink sample app for Polymer?

We don't have a true kitchen sink app, but there is the Sandbox shown at Google IO.
We're working on some new stuff that will incorporate the polymer-elements. Some of those demos, code snippets, and documentation.

I am afraid, it is still not clear to me as how you can write a full fledged app using  Polymer.

As for getting started, I recommend watching some of the videos on the playlist. High level concepts are covered, like building an app made from custom elements.

Will there not be a separate CSS file in Polymer?

In the future, we may provide a global stylesheet for things like themes, but for the most part, every UI element will have its own internal styling. Check out https://github.com/polymer/polymer-ui-elements. Style encapsulation is one of the benefits of web components.

How do you bind events? How can I NOT have something a JS library like JQuery to handle these?

Polymer's declarative event attributes:

For outside a polymer-element, you can use your traditional addEventListener() to listen for the event(s).

How is shadow DOM different from document.createDocumentFragment()?

It provides style and DOM encapsulation:

Thanks in advance

Follow Polymer on Google+: plus.google.com/107187849809354688692
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Polymer" group.

u.krish...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2013, 8:58:47 PM11/8/13
to polym...@googlegroups.com, u.krish...@gmail.com
Sorry about that... Did not mean to flood the forum. But I thought since it is a relatively new technology, posting here as against Stack Overflow makes more sense.

Thanks for the below response. It did clear some ambiguities while introducing more Qs, which I will differ for now - and wait till I  delve a bit deeper.

Eric Bidelman

Nov 8, 2013, 9:04:00 PM11/8/13
to Uma Krishnan, polymer-dev
I only mention SO because some of your questions are conceptual and great stuff to surface for other developers. Turns out, SO has phenomenal SEO! Otherwise, happy to help  :)