Polymer App Toolbox setup: missing step

mjjohn...@gmail.com

Jul 23, 2016, 5:05:00 PM7/23/16
to Polymer
I wanted to get started trying out the Polymer App Toolbox, so I was following the steps from here: https://www.polymer-project.org/1.0/start/toolbox/set-up

However, when I got to running `polymer serve --open`, it just opened a blank page. After trying a few things, it turned out that I needed to install Bower (`sudo npm install -g bower`) before `polymer init app-drawer-template` would work properly. Perhaps this should be mentioned somewhere in the setup instructions at that URL, or even better, included in an installation script? (Possibly as part of the installation of polymer-cli.)

Side note: when I ran `polymer init app-drawer-template`, there was a message that said it was running `bower install` for me, and if it failed, I should try running the command myself. It then exited with no further messages, which in Linux normally means no error...but apparently not this time! That message did eventually get me on the right track, though, so I'm glad you had it there.