Topic Proposal: Seat Belts and Airbags for bash

Michael Potter

Mar 27, 2009, 3:17:22 PM3/27/09
to polyglot-p...@googlegroups.com
Polyglot crew,

I have a good presentation for the polyglots:
Seat Belts and Airbags for bash

I gave this presentation to the polyglots in the burbs some time ago.
At that time the name was Robust shell scripting using bash 3.x.

I show you a few simple rules and switches that will dramatically
improve the reliability of your bash code. The presentation appeals
to a seasoned script writer and to the person who just writes 20 line
scripts.

Let me know if you want to schedule it for polyglots downtown.

--
Michael Potter

Andy Lester

Mar 27, 2009, 3:19:32 PM3/27/09
to polyglot-p...@googlegroups.com
> I have a good presentation for the polyglots:
> Seat Belts and Airbags for bash

I've heard this talk from Potter before, and it's a good one. I'm
certainly no bash expert, so it was very informative. I've used what
he talked about in my production shell scripts ever since.

xoxo,
Andy

--
Andy Lester => an...@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Dean Wampler

Mar 27, 2009, 3:33:40 PM3/27/09
to polyglot-p...@googlegroups.com, Dean Wampler
+1
Dean Wampler, Ph.D.
co-author: "Programming Scala", O'Reilly

twitter: @deanwampler, @chicagoscala
See also:
http://www.polyglotprogramming.com  Multi-language and multi-paradigm programming
http://www.aspectprogramming.com    AOP advocacy site
http://aquarium.rubyforge.org       AOP for Ruby
http://www.contract4j.org           Design by Contract for Java5

Michael Potter

Mar 27, 2009, 3:43:08 PM3/27/09
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> wrote:

>> I have a good presentation for the polyglots:
>> Seat Belts and Airbags for bash
>

> I've heard this talk from Potter before, and it's a good one.  I'm
> certainly no bash expert, so it was very informative. I've used what
> he talked about in my production shell scripts ever since.
>
> xoxo,
> Andy

Andy's comments after my talk in Wheaton were the inspiration for the
presentation name change.

--
Michael Potter

kent archie

Mar 27, 2009, 3:47:31 PM3/27/09
to polyglot-p...@googlegroups.com
Sounds fine to me. Haven't programmed seriously in shell in like 15
years, so it will be good to refresh.
**kent
--
Kent Archie
Nerd For Hire

Dave Hoover

Mar 27, 2009, 4:02:10 PM3/27/09
to polyglot-p...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> wrote:
>> I have a good presentation for the polyglots:
>> Seat Belts and Airbags for bash
>
> I've heard this talk from Potter before, and it's a good one.  I'm
> certainly no bash expert, so it was very informative. I've used what
> he talked about in my production shell scripts ever since.
>
> xoxo,
> Andy

I've heard the talk too and recommend it.

Tyler Jennings

Mar 27, 2009, 4:37:48 PM3/27/09
to polyglot-p...@googlegroups.com
I like it.