Foam sclerotherapy

Marie Ursitti

Nov 8, 2023, 6:44:30 PM11/8/23
to PLD Polycystic Liver Disease
Hi All -  Update on my aunt.  She spoke with Dr. Torres and he is recommending she have Foam Sclerotherapy on her liver cysts.  She is 76 years old and has a very big liver.  Her largestest liver cysts is 17 centimeters.  We are very pleased to hear this news.  She will be heading there in December.  Have any of you had this procedure before?  If so what was your experience?

Thanks - Marie Ursitti

Tanya Wilson

Nov 9, 2023, 1:25:00 AM11/9/23
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
I had a 14 cm liver cyst done with Sclerotherapy but alcohol was injected (not foam). The Dr. left the alcohol in for 15 minutes while laying on my back, and then 15 minutes on each side before draining.  I was rescanned a few weeks later and the cyst was full again.
This March, I had laparoscopic cyst fenestration done on 13 cysts at UCLA (Dr. Vatche Agopian). The results were incredible. Two days in the hospital and 2 weeks on the couch barely able to get up. What started out being a 1 1/2 surgery removing 4 or 5 cysts turned into a 3 hour surgery taking out thirteen cysts and giving me massive relief.
One had bled into itself close to the diaphragm and several others pressing and adhering to my stomach. I was told they only removed surface cysts.
I’d be interested in hearing the results of the foam therapy as this can hopefully remove deeper cysts.

Tanya Wilson
Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 8, 2023, at 3:44 PM, 'Marie Ursitti' via PLD Polycystic Liver Disease <polycysticl...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi All -  Update on my aunt.  She spoke with Dr. Torres and he is recommending she have Foam Sclerotherapy on her liver cysts.  She is 76 years old and has a very big liver.  Her largestest liver cysts is 17 centimeters.  We are very pleased to hear this news.  She will be heading there in December.  Have any of you had this procedure before?  If so what was your experience?

Thanks - Marie Ursitti

Marie Ursitti

Nov 9, 2023, 11:31:51 PM11/9/23
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tanya - Yes there is also alcohol used in this procedure.  Maybe this procedure is the same as yours??    I dont know what is in the foam.  Did your doctors ever suggest a liver resection or just cyst fenestration?  I had cyst fenestration about in New York 16 years ago from a doctor that did not know what he was doing.  He just cut open the cysts and removed the fluid without any cauterization to the cysts.  I then had a liver resection a year later from Dr. Nagorney.  I am also interested to see how my Aunt does with this procedure.  I will keep you posted.   :-)

Tanya Wilson

Nov 9, 2023, 11:45:30 PM11/9/23
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
I looked up the foam treatment you mentioned and saw it was a treatment used to get rid of varicose veins. Not sure if it’s the same foam. I’ve never heard of you prior to you mentioning it and me doing a Google search.
Yes, please post the results. I was awake for the alcPhil Sclerotherapy treatment since they wanted me to participate and roll around for them while on the operating table. The reason given was they could only inject a certain amount that didn’t come close to the fluid removed. So basically they were trying to swish it around to kill the cyst. I was given fentanyl during and was extremely calm. I also got the hiccups immediately following the alcohol injection. Lol
Tanya

Sent from my iPhone

Mark de Buisseret

Nov 10, 2023, 5:11:29 AM11/10/23
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
Thats interesting about the hiccups. I get a lot of bouts of hiccups and thought bisacodyl and senna plus my diet were to blame. Perhaps its my patches that I cant live without.

Mark

Sent from Mark de Buisseret
38 Willow Drive
Shepton Mallet
Somerset
BA4 5JU
Email: mdebuis@ aol.com

On Fri, 10 Nov 2023 at 4:45, Tanya Wilson