Any updates? / Keto

Afshin

Sep 11, 2021, 12:55:16 AM9/11/21
to PLD Polycystic Liver Disease
Hello,
I'm curious if anyone has any updates about their liver, particularly anyone who might be doing a keto diet.  Has anyone seen any positive results affecting total liver volume or seeing other benefits?

I've been doing mainly intermittent fasting (about 4-5 months), moderate plant-based keto dieting, as well as on a BHB supplement for about 2 months now.  Not sure I'm seeing too many changes in liver size, but I don't have any pain thankfully.

Would be curious to hear updates from others.
Thanks,
Afshin

Diane Smith

Sep 11, 2021, 1:50:28 PM9/11/21
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
The main thing with the liver that causes it to grown is the liver has hormone receptors that cause it to grow. Plus anything that comes in contact with the liver must deal with it such as pesticides

Sent from my awesome Gold iPhone 12

~Diane

On Sep 10, 2021, at 6:55 PM, Afshin <at.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

Kathryn Hayes

Oct 27, 2021, 9:26:38 PM10/27/21
to PLD Polycystic Liver Disease

I have the same questions about Keto, BHB and intermittent fasting - seems very helpful for PKD but today I read that
Conclusion: Autophagy is increased in PLD cholangiocytes, contributes to hepatic cystogenesis, and represents a potential therapeutic target for disease treatment. (Hepatology 2018;67:1088–1108)

Also
Autophagy-mediated reduction of miR-345 contributes to hepatic cystogenesis in polycystic liver disease
Keto and BHB triggers autophagy which helps reduce the size of the kidney cysts, but it looks like it might make the liver cysts worse! I hate this disease and all the unknowns. After 8 years on Lanriotide, I was hoping diet might help my symptoms but now I am really concerned!
Any thoughts???

Tanya Wilson

Oct 27, 2021, 11:41:28 PM10/27/21
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
I started Keto in July. I feel great on it. More energy. I stopped sandostatin in Sept. after being on them for 7 years. I just got scanned for a baseline earlier this month. I’ll get scanned again in 5 months to see how keto is doing and to see if I should got back to the injections.
I’d love to hear more on what works.
Tanya

Sent from my iPhone

Kathryn Hayes

Oct 28, 2021, 12:17:54 AM10/28/21
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
Tayna,
My experience is so close to yours! I stopped Somatuline in July and my Liver doc ordered an MRI for January to decide if I should go back on - my main complaint on the med was gastrointestinal but it's still bad off the med - I'm not great with keto but want to try harder to see if it helps but concerned it might be taxing the liver, even with plant based, low protein, and lots of water
So confusing really! But I'd love to hear how you come through.
Why did you decide to stop the med?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "PLD Polycystic Liver Disease" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/polycysticliverdisease/32EBC723-F4B4-4A04-B1E5-900D4953C163%40gmail.com.

Tanya Wilson

Oct 28, 2021, 1:02:11 AM10/28/21
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
I stopped because I was getting a lot of headaches and also some weird heart activity. (I think I have an extra beat which I’ve read is harmless) and wanted to see if it was from the shots.
I also got off caffeine (when I started Keto) and stopped using Nicorette. I think I’m about as healthy as I’m going to be now and think the caffeine was the headache issue not the shots.
My scan did show that my largest liver cyst grew from 12.5 to 14 cm. Problem is that it was compared to a scan from a year and a half ago before I started Keto. I had shingles in January and was put on a high dose of Prednisone. (I have a feeling that’s what caused my cyst growth because that’s the largest jump in size since starting Sandostatin.)
I also gave up Lectins (Dr. Gundry) That’s what lead me to the Keto diet. You might check that out for gastro problems.
Tanya

Sent from my iPhone

Kathryn Hayes

Oct 28, 2021, 1:35:08 PM10/28/21
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanya
I'll check it out - please let me know how your next scan goes, I also found that the treatment didn't seem to stop the liver cysts growth ):

--
Kathryn Hayes, PhD
Executive Coach