Soy

Assigned to pkd...@gmail.com by me

Mike Lyons

Feb 6, 2020, 6:42:44 PM2/6/20
to PLD Polycystic Liver Disease
Hi,

I've been following this group for a while but haven't posted before. I've learned a lot and really appreciate the fund of knowledge here.

I found out 3 years ago that I have PKD and PLD. I was already a vegan at the time, so the lifestyle changes I needed to make were not too drastic. I started to exercise a bit more and had to stop drinking coffee.

I reluctantly stopped eating tofu after reading here that soy was bad for liver cysts.... but I was wondering why. There was some argument on a vegan board I follow that the phytoestrogens in soy have zero effect on hormone balance.

Is there a study that shows a specific connection to liver cyst growth?

Cheers,

Mike

Diane Smith

Feb 7, 2020, 10:51:08 AM2/7/20
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mike

My own brother , who does not have PKD but is Japanese, eats soy. He asked me about his thyroid test being slightly off.

I said you have to quit eating soy. Try coconut aminos. It tastes similar and is on sale now at Trader Joe’s.

See food and soy:

Maybe soy doesn’t affect you now, but it does as you get older.

Sent from my awesome Gold iPhone 11

~Diane

Diane Smith

Feb 7, 2020, 11:06:47 AM2/7/20
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful that you are trying the diet.

Be sure to read , when you have the chance, how intermittent fasting also helps.

Diet low in purine oxalate and phosphorus can stop cysts from forming (in the animal model). High in plants. Low in salt. High in water 3-4 liters a day. Keep blood pressure low all helps.

The body utilizes glucose to make cysts grow. It will not utilize ketones (produced by the liver in an intermittent fasting state) or fatty acids. Read:

See OTC drugs and see BHB under this:

Sent from my awesome Gold iPhone 11

~Diane

Diane Smith

Feb 7, 2020, 11:11:23 AM2/7/20
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
The studies on soy are here and at the bottom of the page are medical articles.

On Feb 7, 2020, at 8:07 AM, 'Diane Smith' via PLD Polycystic Liver Disease <polycysticl...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Wonderful that you are trying the diet.

Mark de Buisseret

Feb 7, 2020, 12:56:11 PM2/7/20
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com

Phosphrous bleaches out of your bones and helps block your blood vessels when your kidneys pack up. A friend of ours and dialysis but not pkd patient had awful problems with this and died suddenly one weekend when his heart packed up as a result. This cannot be helped by dialysis. Instead you have to take phosphate binders with every meal to take it out via your stomach. These are not without problems. Some made me projectile vomit without warning. Others are aluminium so require additional monitoring and some take levels down too low.

Like everything with pkd/pld its not straight forward.

Mark

Sent by Mark de Buisseret

PLDiane

Feb 21, 2022, 2:23:27 PM2/21/22
to PLD Polycystic Liver Disease
Soy is not good for PLD
 2015 Apr;60(4):467-73.
 doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000000649

and

PKD Diane

Feb 21, 2022, 2:34:04 PM2/21/22
to Polycystic Liver Disease Google
according to PUB MED

2015 Apr;60(4):467-73.
 doi: 10.1097/MPG.0000000000000649Gas

Feeding Soy Increases PLD

Diane

Mark de Buisseret

Feb 22, 2022, 5:28:09 PM2/22/22
to polycysticl...@googlegroups.com
If I can remember properly soy is like a lot of the alternatives to meat and thats very high in potassium. End Stage Kidney patients are on a low fluid, low potassium, low salt, low protein diet.

Mark