Lab technician, pollen identification, Winfree Lab - Rutgers University

Lucia Weinman

May 6, 2021, 4:48:09 PM5/6/21
to polp...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

My name is Lucia Weinman, I am a PhD candidate in the Winfree Lab (winfreelab.com) at Rutgers University. I am looking for a self-motivated part-time technician to assist with pollen identifications using light microscopy. The technician will work closely with me to identify and count pollen grains in pollen loads from female bee specimens. I collected specimens for a federally-funded study on forest bee pollen use funded by the National Park Service. Data on bees’ pollen use will be used in a report to the National Park Service on bee floral resource requirements in deciduous forests in the Upper Midwest, as well as in support of my PhD dissertation.

Qualifications: Experience with pollen identification is highly preferred but not necessary. Folks with experience identifying other things in biological samples using light microscopy (nematodes, protists, phytoplankton, etc ), or that otherwise have a knack for detail-oriented work that requires specialized knowledge and a high level of focus, are also encouraged to apply.  Minimum qualifications include professional experience with ecological research, excellent communication skills, and an ability to work independently.

 In addition helping with pollen ID, the technician may also assist with other tasks such as processing and mounting of pollen samples. The position is part-time - 15-20 hours per week - for ~12 weeks. The rate of pay will be $15-$19 per hour, depending on qualifications. Start date is late June. Start and end dates are flexible. Work will be conducted at the Winfree Lab at Rutgers in New Brunswick, NJ.

To apply: As a single PDF, send a brief cover letter detailing your interest in the position and why you feel you would be a good fit, a CV, and contact information for three references to luci...@gmail.com. Please put “Pollen ID application” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.

Please feel free to pass on to anyone you think fits the bill and/or would be interested!

Rutgers University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the Winfree Lab encourages applications from underrepresented groups.

Best,
Lucia Weinman

--
PhD candidate | Winfree Lab
Department of Ecology, Evolution and Natural Resources

she/her/hers