Fwd: [New post] Pesticides and pollinators: please sign this petition!

Mariano Devoto

Apr 5, 2023, 7:57:25 AM4/5/23
to polp...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Prof. Jeff Ollerton - ecological scientist and author <commen...@wordpress.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 at 08:55
Subject: [New post] Pesticides and pollinators: please sign this petition!
To: <mde...@gmail.com>

Site logo image jeffollerton posted: " As part of our roles as ambassadors of the new conservation organisation Restore (more of which later this year), several of us including Dave Goulson, George McGavin, and myself, are promoting this online petition to get the government to take the i" Prof. Jeff Ollerton - ecological scientist and author

Pesticides and pollinators: please sign this petition!

jeffollerton

Apr 5

As part of our roles as ambassadors of the new conservation organisation Restore (more of which later this year), several of us including Dave Goulson, George McGavin, and myself, are promoting this online petition to get the government to take the issue of neonicotinoid pesticides seriously. Here's some text from Dave explaining the situation with a link to a petition that you can sign:

“For three years in a row our government has granted farmers special permission to use banned neonicotinoid pesticides on sugar beet. This is contrary to the expert advice of their own Expert Committee on Pesticides, who specifically recommended that permission should not be granted.  It also flies in the face of a huge body of scientific evidence showing that these chemicals are phenomenally toxic to all insect life, and that their use on any crop contaminates soils, hedgerow plants, and nearby streams and ponds for years to come. We are in a crisis, with insect populations in freefall. It is about time our government woke up to this, and acted accordingly. This petition https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/631948 is a necessary means of holding the government to account. Please sign and share, as signing will ensure the issue is debated in Parliament.”

This petition now has more than 15,000 signatures which ensures that it gets a response from the Government. If it reaches 100,000 mark, it will trigger a debate in Parliament. Please sign and promote this important initiative!

Comment
Tip icon image You can also reply to this email to leave a comment.

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from Prof. Jeff Ollerton - ecological scientist and author.
Change your email settings at manage subscriptions.

WordPress.com and Jetpack Logos

Get the Jetpack app to use Reader anywhere, anytime

Follow your favorite sites, save posts to read later, and get real-time notifications for likes and comments.

Download Jetpack on Google Play Download Jetpack from the App Store

Learn how to build your website with our video tutorials on YouTube.

Automattic, Inc. - 60 29th St. #343, San Francisco, CA 94110