Fwd: [SCAPE] Continuing the conversations: pollination biology Slack workspace

Jeff Ollerton

Oct 27, 2021, 8:54:22 AM10/27/21
to ICP...@listserv.umd.edu, polp...@googlegroups.com
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Kelsey Byers (JIC) <Kelsey...@jic.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 at 18:24
Subject: [SCAPE] Continuing the conversations: pollination biology
Slack workspace

Dear all,

It was a pleasure to meet/see so many of you at SCAPE this last week
and hear some great talks and see some excellent posters!

I mentioned via email (and some of you may have seen) the possibility
of setting up a communications method for us to talk between meetings.
At last year's virtual meeting and for those of us on the chat this
year, there were several instances of people asking for advice on
techniques or analyses or wanting to share information, ask questions
about approaches or systems, etc.

Since no current venue seems to exist for this (apart from some
infrequently used email lists), I have set up a Slack workspace with
some 'seed' channels. Slack, for those who don't already use it, is an
asynchronous communication program, similar to an online forum or
bulletin board. Users can post things to discussion channels (usually
with a specific topic but there are also general and random channels)
or message each other directly to discuss anything of interest;
replies can be nested underneath posts or can just be posted next in
the channel. Slack can be used on a mobile phone via the app, or in a
browser, or in a standalone application for a laptop/desktop/tablet.
To browse the channels, you can click on the + button next to the
Channels heading on the left toolbar and click "Browse channels" to
see what's available. If you find the channels I've added aren't
sufficient (and I'm sure they are not!) please add more!

I also attach a Code of Conduct for the Slack in both PDF and Word
format; roughly, "be kind" and be careful of the difference between
genuine scientific debate and disagreement (ok) and personal attacks
and harassment (not okay). If you need it in an alternative format
please let me know. Slack itself is generally pretty accessible but I
do note it can have some issues with screen readers unfortunately.

If you would like to join, please go ahead and follow this link:

https://join.slack.com/t/pollinationbiology/shared_invite/zt-xt9uoh2a-6jb69sl8HKw8eAUw0lB7~A

I hope to see some - or many! - of you there!

Cheers,

- Kelsey

Kelsey J.R.P. Byers
Group Leader
John Innes Centre
Kelsey...@jic.ac.uk
twitter: @plantpollinator
any/all pronouns ok
(while I may read & send emails at odd hours,
I don't expect the same of anyone else)
pollinationbiology-CodeofConduct.docx
pollinationbiology-CodeofConduct.pdf