Irony from the Washington Post

1 view

Eva Douglas

Oct 24, 2009, 11:09:40 AM10/24/09
to politic...@googlegroups.com
As I've said, I'm reading "A Tragic Legacy".  I followed links to the author Glenn Greenwald and find that he has a blog which inclues this comments on the Washington Post article from yesterday: http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2009/10/24/american_priorities/

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Eva Douglas <ebdo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I hope that everyone has seen or heard about this.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:47 AM, Daniel Habtemariam <dhab...@gmail.com> wrote:

The irony getting to be too much here...

1) The big banks label the political left as enemies of the free
market when they themselves weren't made to be this big through free
market mechanisms.  They were made big through a series of government
actions and inactions last September and (more broadly) over the past
3 decades.

2) Once the massive banks were created, and implicitly backed by the
government, it became very hard to reregulate them.  They've
essentially bitten the Obama administration hand that fed them.

3)  Health insurers have convinced far too many Americans that a
public option is some terrible anti-free market Soviet concoction when
we live with public options everyday in higher education, in the
postal service,...even auto insurance has a low-cost public option in
most states.  And oh yeah, nearly every one of our free-market peer
countries have some form of a public option.

4)  The GOP labels itself as a party for fiscal conservatism...when
real fiscal conservatives are fully on-board with Obama's efforts to
curtail health insurance spending because real fiscal conservatives
have done their homework and seen what Medicare and Medicaid are doing
to the federal budget in 10 years.

[...sigh]