Virus

1 view

ddepuemd

Oct 9, 2009, 3:35:28 AM10/9/09
to Political Irony
Hey, it seems that now and then when I open up the irony home page I
get a virus that is stopped by my Norton, thankfully. What's up with
that?????

Daniel Habtemariam

Oct 9, 2009, 8:08:15 AM10/9/09
to Political Irony
Yeah, I thought it was just me...! I have a feeling it has to do with
one of the advertisers on the site. My web browser won't even allow
politicalirony to load before giving me this message:

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!

The website at politicalirony.com contains elements from the site
www.step-traff.info, which appears to host malware - software that can
hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just
visiting a site that contains malware can infect your computer.
For detailed information about the problems with these elements, visit
the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page for www.step-traff.info.
Learn more about how to protect yourself from harmful software online.

I understand that visiting this site may harm my computer. Proceed
anyway?
Back to safety?

ironknee

Oct 10, 2009, 2:22:58 AM10/10/09
to Political Irony
So, enough people are telling me that they are seeing this message
that I'm starting to take drastic measures.

What's frustrating is that the problem is NOT with my site, it is with
www.step-traff.info, which I have absolutely no control over. As
Daniel says, I think it is coming from one of the advertisers, via
Google Adsense, which then Goggle is warning my users about! They are
inserting a bad link, then warning my users to stay away from my site
because of their bad link. And there is no way for me to figure out
which ads are causing the problem and block them.

So, as of right now, I'm removing my Google AdSense ads from the
site. Please, if anyone sees this warning message again, let me know
immediately, since this means that there is some other problem that is
causing the warning message.

Eva Douglas

Oct 10, 2009, 9:01:23 AM10/10/09
to politic...@googlegroups.com
I use Norton 360, and Norton doesn't give that message or block the site.

ironknee

Oct 10, 2009, 1:09:31 PM10/10/09
to Political Irony
Dang! I removed the ads, but I just got the warning again.

I turned the ads back on (since they are not at fault).

Next step -- I'm rebuilding my site from scratch. May take a day or
two.

On Oct 9, 11:22 pm, ironknee <i...@politicalirony.com> wrote:
> So, enough people are telling me that they are seeing this message
> that I'm starting to take drastic measures.
>
> What's frustrating is that the problem is NOT with my site, it is withwww.step-traff.info, which I have absolutely no control over. As

ironknee

Oct 11, 2009, 3:49:33 AM10/11/09
to Political Irony
OK, site has been completely rebuilt from scratch. You might notice a
few minor changes, but if you see anything that looks wrong, or get an
error message, please let me know.

Hopefully, the evil code that was causing the warning message is now
gone. So if you do get a warning message, please let me know (so I
can start tearing my hair out!).

--iron