Political Marketing Symposium - 4th-5th June 2020, cancelled

Jennifer Lees-Marshment

Mar 18, 2020, 8:24:22 PM3/18/20
to political...@googlegroups.com
Dear All

It is with a rather heavy heart that I email you all today to let you know that the Political Marketing Symposium due to run on the 4th - 5th June 2020 at College Court in Leicester has been cancelled. This is due to the fact that universities all over the world have announced domestic and overseas travel bans for their staff to keep them and others safe in the Covid-19 crisis, consequently it is highly unlikely that we would get sufficient delegates to allow the conference to run. At this stage, we also cannot guarantee our minimum number of delegates to our conference venue owner so I've had to cancel the conference accommodation.

I've taken the decision not to postpone the conference into another month because it is completely unclear when the current crisis will end. I hope you all understand.

To those of you who have submitted an abstract, many thanks for your support. Apologies, we will not now take the reviews forward although either Charles Robertson or Robert Ormrod will be in touch if you submitted to the competitive or doctoral tracks respectively to let you know this personally. However, if your work for which you wrote the abstract is complete, you might want to consider submitting a full paper to the Journal of Public Affairs or the Journal of Political Marketing, both of whom offered to consider papers subsequently developed from abstracts submitted to the conference for publication.

When the dust has settled we will relook at running this conference. We really do need to come together to discuss political marketing / propaganda in modern times and there's no denying there's a lot to talk about. Do let me know if you would like your university to be the one to host this conference.

In the meantime, look after the vulnerable, and stay safe and well.

My best wishes

Paul

Prof Paul Baines
University of Leicester