In Spain, a Group of 12 People (Mostly Illegals and Latin American Immigrants) Beat Gay Man for 15 Minutes Til He Died

rivcuban

Jun 20, 2024, 2:48:06 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia

ImStillMags Mags

Jun 20, 2024, 3:38:51 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
Samuel Luiz Muñiz, a 24-year-old nursing assistant, was beaten to death in A CoruñaGalicia, Spain, on 3 July 2021. According to several witnesses, including the victim's friends, the crime was motivated by homophobia,[1][2] which led to country-wide demonstrations in his memory, and in defence of LGBT community.[3][4]  Following the initial investigation, the police initially disagreed that homophobia was a motive, on the basis of the suspects' claims to have been unaware of the victim's sexuality.[1][5][6] However, later, during prosecution, the state prosecutor emphasised this discrimination against Samuel, as well as the extreme dehumanisation he faced regarding his sexual orientation.[7] As of 5 October 2021, seven people have been arrested for his death; one of them was released until the trial.[8][9][10]

On Thursday, June 20, 2024 at 11:48:06 AM UTC-7 rivcuban wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Samuel_Luiz

ImStillMags Mags

Jun 20, 2024, 4:18:03 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
Luis, did you experience any discriminatory behavior when you were in Spain?

rivcuban

Jun 20, 2024, 5:08:01 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
Absolutely not.  In fact, a waitress in a small restaurant told me to "never be ashamed of who you are" after I hesitantly told her I was gay.  Spain is one of the most gay friendly countries in the world.  Of course, there are hate crimes and violence against LGBTQ people, but it's not common like in many other countries.  Spain is WAY MORE gay friendly than the US.

rivcuban

Jun 20, 2024, 5:13:36 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/presidente/news/Paginas/2019/20190703sanchez-prideweek.aspx

Pedro Sánchez stresses that government will not allow a single backward step to be taken in fight against sexual discrimination

President's News - 2019.7.3

The Acting President of the Government, Pedro Sánchez, declared that Spain will continue

The Acting President of the Government, Pedro Sánchez, declared that Spain will continue moving forwards in the fight against discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity despite attempts by intolerant groups to take backward steps in this field. Pedro Sánchez reiterated the government's commitment to ensure that equality is real at an event entitled 'Proud of our diversity' held at Moncloa Palace with representatives of LGTBI groups on the occasion of Pride Week.

In his speech, the Acting President of the Government argued that this progress will be possible thanks to the demanding and mobilising nature of LGTBI organisations and to the rejection of discrimination by society as a whole, "which will never again stand on the side of those who do harm". And he wielded a third argument, "The government will stand firm, we will not allow attacks, threats or attempts at intimidation to be taken against them".

"We fight for equality because we want to be entitled to be different", said Pedro Sánchez, who reviewed the measures adopted by the government in this field, such as the declaration of 28 June, LGTBI National Pride Day, the recovery of access to assisted reproduction treatment by lesbians and the abolition of HIV as a cause for general exclusion to access to certain public jobs. The Acting President of the Government advocated continuing to make progress at a regulatory level and through public policies that particularly cater for transsexuals and young LGTBI people that suffer from a situation of particular vulnerability.

 moving forwards in the fight against discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity despite attempts by intolerant groups to take backward steps in this field. Pedro Sánchez reiterated the government's commitment to ensure that equality is real at an event entitled 'Proud of our diversity' held at Moncloa Palace with representatives of LGTBI groups on the occasion of Pride Week.

rivcuban

Jun 20, 2024, 5:15:18 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
Sadly, the right-wing is growing throughout Europe because of the immigration crisis.  It may not last.

rivcuban

Jun 20, 2024, 5:17:55 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia

030719-sanchezpano.jpg

The PM Pedro Sanchez is in the last row.

rivcuban

Jun 20, 2024, 5:19:09 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
"Orgullo" means Pride in Spanish.

Irie

Jun 20, 2024, 5:34:40 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
Careful riv, you point out their legal status and they'll start calling you a xenophobe.

On Thursday, June 20, 2024 at 1:48:06 PM UTC-5 rivcuban wrote:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Samuel_Luiz

rivcuban

Jun 20, 2024, 6:09:23 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
Yeah, I know.  It irks me that people entering the country illegally will cause a political shift that may greatly affect most of the progress gays, women etc. have made.   Are we going to sacrifice our rights because of people who are illegally  (who are not residents or citizens) entering countries?  It infuriates me.  I say send all the people who show up on the border or jump the fence be sent back in a humane way.  In the meantime, there are thousands of people waiting in line to get their citizenship.

Irie

Jun 20, 2024, 6:11:46 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
When in Europe did you visit Portugal as well as Spain?

rivcuban

Jun 20, 2024, 6:12:01 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
https://youtu.be/SnAM1w2_fZA?si=YWVyuK9pMACUrmvW

Of course, the Spaniards had to take them to the hospital for treatment.  Unbelievable.

rivcuban

Jun 20, 2024, 6:19:55 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
You know, I have no desire to go to other places (at least for now).  I'm going up to Llanes for a week.  It's a quaint seaside village with an ancient church.  I made some friends there. Both of my grandfathers were born in Oviedo.  I was told my ancestors are a big deal in Oviedo.  There is an ancient house up in the mountains that is named after my ancestors along with the coat of arms.  Also, there is a street named after my family.  I already have my airline tickets and have put a deposit on the apartment.  I'm out of here on October 30th.  Will be there for 5 weeks.  Can't wait!

Navy

Jun 21, 2024, 7:19:21 AM (4 days ago) Jun 21
to Political Euwetopia
I have to say in my 70 years, I have never had a discussion with a wait-person about my sexuality. iI just don't get it. Or is it you need victim statis constantly?

rivcuban

Jun 21, 2024, 1:01:47 PM (3 days ago) Jun 21
to Political Euwetopia
She asked me if I was married or if I had children.  That's when I told her.  I don't go around telling people that I'm gay right off the bat.

Navy

Jun 21, 2024, 1:18:12 PM (3 days ago) Jun 21
to Political Euwetopia
Good to know....

rivcuban

Jun 21, 2024, 1:44:49 PM (3 days ago) Jun 21
to Political Euwetopia
What I have encountered, and so has every gay person I know, is having to keep an integral part of the basic human condition in secrecy.  When straight people share their joys of life and family events, etc.,  I have to keep quiet and keep it all inside because of the fear that they will find out.  This is not emotionally healthy.

Irie

Jun 21, 2024, 2:07:51 PM (3 days ago) Jun 21
to Political Euwetopia
Yeah, I enjoyed Spain; I see the draw.  We have never been to Portugal though and are planning on a trip in January.
Have fun!!