Juneteenth

ImStillMags Mags

Jun 19, 2024, 2:41:39 PM (5 days ago) Jun 19
to Political Euwetopia

rivcuban

Jun 19, 2024, 2:53:00 PM (5 days ago) Jun 19
to Political Euwetopia
Heartwarming video!

On Wednesday, June 19, 2024 at 11:41:39 AM UTC-7 ImStillMags Mags wrote:
https://abcnews.go.com/US/video/remembering-birthplace-juneteenth-111243785

Thomas Argo

Jun 19, 2024, 3:09:23 PM (5 days ago) Jun 19
to Political Euwetopia
I did not click for the vid but I will say this...
If I said happy juneteenth to anyone at work I would risk both job and life.
I am white and there are unspoken boundaries.

Lobo

Jun 19, 2024, 3:34:43 PM (5 days ago) Jun 19
to Political Euwetopia
<< If I said happy juneteenth to anyone at work I would risk both job and life.
I am white and there are unspoken boundaries.>>

Really? That's sad.

Lobo

Jun 19, 2024, 4:00:40 PM (5 days ago) Jun 19
to Political Euwetopia
I don't have anything against Juneteenth being a federal holiday. But because there can only be a very limited number of such holidays, and because the struggle for equality for black people is already commemorated by MLK Day, this slot really should have been given over to giving Election Day (currently November 5) the distinction.

Call it "Democracy Day". At a time when it's under so much assault, at home and abroad, not only would it have made us remember just how important the idea of rule by the people is to what we are, but it would also have had many practical beneficial effects besides -- not least of all to black, low income, and other targets of voter suppression laws -- by (among other things) encouraging them to vote and making it easier for such voters to get to polls before they close.

There are many people, movements, and events that deserve commemoration, including Juneteenth, but this was an important failed opportunity, IMHO.

Thomas Argo

Jun 19, 2024, 4:19:00 PM (5 days ago) Jun 19
to Political Euwetopia
It is sad. We celebrate diversity, equity and all that above and beyond anywhere I have ever seen.
Classes are mandatory for all and non compliance will quickly be pointed out and never forgiven. People are afraid to look at their coworkers.
I know individuals by their user ID. That does not match what their name is. There are many people, from trans to vampire that I do not attempt too address for fear of getting it wrong.
Errors are not addressed because I cannot ask to see Shania who is called Patrick but I do not know that.
I work with 400 people in a major pharmacy.
No bonus this year for me due to "dissing" someone.

plainolamerican

Jun 19, 2024, 10:11:26 PM (5 days ago) Jun 19
to Political Euwetopia
At least you can see it and recognize the injustice.

BEZARK

Jun 20, 2024, 12:24:14 AM (5 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
There are many people, from trans to vampire that I do not attempt too address for fear of getting it wrong.
Errors are not addressed because I cannot ask to see Shania who is called Patrick but I do not know that.
I work with 400 people in a major pharmacy.
======

The Star Bar is now a pharmacy?

Thomas Argo

Jun 20, 2024, 4:14:59 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
The hiring managers are on the same page, afraid to not hire.

ImStillMags Mags

Jun 20, 2024, 7:02:02 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
did not know this...........

May be an image of text

plainolamerican

Jun 20, 2024, 8:34:29 PM (4 days ago) Jun 20
to Political Euwetopia
Where state workers have Juneteenth as a paid day off

Jun 19, 2023 — But about half the states in the nation have not made Juneteenth an official state holiday, according to the Congressional Research Service.
Apr 20, 2023 — (WKRN) — Juneteenth will become a paid state holiday this year, after the passage of HB 0317 by the Tennessee House of Representatives Thursday ...
Missing: illegal ‎| Show results with: illegal