12,600-year-old painting that's 8 miles long discovered in the Amazon Rainforest

Irie

Jul 2, 2024, 1:56:47 PM (12 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia
Researchers in the Amazon rainforest uncovered an extraordinary “canvas” made up of drawings of mastodons, giant sloths and other extinct beasts, which is up to 12,600 years old.

The ancient artists used the red pigment ochre to create the monumental artwork, which spans some 13 kilometres (eight miles) of rock on the hills of the Colombian Amazon.

"These really are incredible images, produced by the earliest people to live in western Amazonia," University of Exeter archaeologist Mark Robinson, who published a paper on the historic discovery in the journal Quaternary International, said in a statement .

Robinson and his team believe that indigenous people began painting these images at the archaeological site of Serranía La Lindosa, on the northern edge of the Colombian Amazon, towards the end of the last ice age.

Lobo

Jul 2, 2024, 2:21:19 PM (11 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia
No photos from the article? I'd really like to see at least parts of it before ranchers, farmers, loggers, and whoever destroy it...

I-think4me

Jul 2, 2024, 4:20:33 PM (9 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia
I wonder how the hunters and gatherers who spent their days busy with the work of surviving, felt about the guy who spent his days drawing on the walls.  Was he respected and revered or looked down on like the kid that blows his college tuition on an arts degree?

BEZARK

Jul 2, 2024, 5:05:53 PM (8 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia

BEZARK

Jul 2, 2024, 5:09:08 PM (8 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia
Same time as a suspected cosmic impact associated with the Younger Dryas climatic era.

Lobo

Jul 2, 2024, 5:20:27 PM (8 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia
<< I wonder how the hunters and gatherers who spent their days busy with the work of surviving, felt about the guy who spent his days drawing on the walls.  Was he respected and revered or looked down on like the kid that blows his college tuition on an arts degree?  >>

Early human art wasn't just about aesthetics, though I imagine that was an element of it. The paintings had religious and real-world significance, especially in wish-fulfillment.

I-think4me

Jul 2, 2024, 5:43:15 PM (8 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia
Early human art wasn't just about aesthetics, though I imagine that was an element of it. The paintings had religious and real-world significance, especially in wish-fulfillment.

I’ve always found it fascinating that humans from the beginning of time have had this primal urge to recreate and record the world as they see it.  But surely then as now, there had to be those who simply did not “ get it"

Irie

Jul 2, 2024, 9:37:19 PM (4 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia
I suspect it was revered based on their ritualistic beliefs.

Irie

Jul 2, 2024, 9:41:46 PM (4 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia
download (1).jpeg

plainolamerican

Jul 2, 2024, 10:19:50 PM (3 hours ago) Jul 2
to Political Euwetopia
It's a tragedy that mankind can't seem to record history accurately.