Over the counter birth control

plainolamerican

Oct 6, 2022, 11:26:13 AM10/6/22
to Political Euwetopia

At a time when access to contraception for American women is under political threat, two U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) advisory committees have decided to consider an application to allow the sale of oral contraceptive pills over the counter.

The advisory committees will meet in November, the Financial Times reports, to consider the application submitted by HRA-pharma, a Paris-based pharmaceutical company owned by the Perrigo Company, to make their progesterone-only mini-pill available in the U.S. without a prescription.

Hormone-based pills have been the most common form of birth control in the U.S. since the 1960s, but they have always required a prescription so that health professionals can screen for medical conditions that could make their use risky.

The FDA is also in discussion with Cadence Health, according to the FT, over how it plans to sell the contraceptive pill in pharmacies.

- ADVERTISEMENT -

Any decision made by the FDA will be put under a fierce political spotlight at a time when abortion and contraception rights have come under threat in the U.S.

When the Supreme Court announced its decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, Justice Clarence Thomas suggested in a concurring opinion that the Court “should reconsider” its past Griswold v. Connecticut ruling, which codified rights to contraception access.

The FDA came under similar scrutiny when it loosened access to abortion pills in February—a move which was condemned by abortion opponents and praised by women’s rights advocates—and approved the over-the-counter emergency contraception Plan B in 2006.

“I don’t think it [birth control] is the next target. I think it is already a target,” Dana Singiser, founder of Contraceptive Access Initiative, told the FT. Singiser's group is lobbying for over-the-counter access to birth control.

Who is on board?

In 2011, more than 3 million U.S. pregnancies—almost 45% of the total—were unintended, which means they were either unwanted to mistimed.

The American Medical Association, as well as the American Academy of Family Physicians and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, have urged the FDA to remove the prescription access barrier to contraception, arguing it would decrease the number of unwanted pregnancies.

AMA Board Member David H. Aizuss wrote in a statement that “access is one of the most cited reasons why patients do not use oral contraceptives, use them inconsistently, or discontinue use.” He added that, “expanding [over the counter] access would make it easier for patients to properly use oral contraceptives, leading to fewer unplanned pregnancies.”

In March, more than 50 Democratic lawmakers from the Pro-Choice Caucus wrote to the FDA urging the agency to make the pills more readily available. “We urge FDA to review applications for over-the-counter birth control pills without delay and based solely on the data,” the House’s Pro-Choice Caucus said in the March letter.

Selling birth control pills over the counter would make contraception more accessible to those without regular access to healthcare providers, such as the uninsured, those who live in rural areas, and young people on parental insurance who may not want their parents to know they are using birth control.

And while this is the first time a U.S. agency is considering making the pill available over the counter, around the world more than 100 countries currently provide the pill without a prescription.

…and who isn’t?

In July, an attempt by Senate Democrats to pass a bill to enshrine conception access into federal law was blocked by Republican lawmakers. Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa) noted at the time that the bill "purposefully goes far beyond the scope of contraception” arguing it could fund abortion providers and protect abortion-inducing drugs.

Ernst now seeks to pass her own bill that would expedite over-the-counter access to birth control, without codifying access to the pill in all states.

There are also fears over the medical risks of oral-contraceptive birth control. Kristan Hawkins, president of Students for Life of America told the FT that she has “tremendous concerns” about giving the drugs to children without adult involvement, particularly given the potential for side effects.

“It’s wise to have medically supervised distribution of such drugs so that women survive their exposure to them,” she said.

But advocates of the HRA’s “mini-pill”, or progestin-only pill, note that the pill has fewer safety concerns than its substitutes. The pill contains a single synthetic hormone, progestin, which prevents pregnancy by blocking sperm from the cervix, rather than a combined pill including estrogen which has a higher risk of causing blood clots.

The HRA notes that it has gone through lengthy trials as part of a seven-year pre-application process for over-the-counter access.

“The pill has been on the market for 60 years, women know how to use it, they know that it’s basically safe to use. So it makes sense that the pill is also offered as a choice to be available over the counter without prescription,” said Frédérique Welgryn, HRA’s chief strategic operations, and innovation officer.

Navy

Oct 7, 2022, 6:57:30 AM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
I have no problem with this one. Over the counter would limit exuses and prevent some humans lrom extermantion due to their host's negleigence and sexual drive.

plainolamerican

Oct 7, 2022, 10:19:24 AM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
I have no problem with this one.
---
Good.

Over the counter would limit exuses and prevent some humans lrom extermantion due to their host's negleigence and sexual drive.
---
White christian women in red bible belt states have the most abortions in America.
Why do you judge them so?

Navy

Oct 7, 2022, 12:12:28 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
I judge the action...killing babies is morally and should be legally wrong. But I speak for me. No one else.

Herman Adler

Oct 7, 2022, 4:47:31 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
It's morally wro9ng unless and until it hits close to home.

Navy

Oct 7, 2022, 5:57:23 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
You think that way because of your own 'close to home' immoral behavior?
Doesn't surprise me.

Herman Adler

Oct 7, 2022, 6:02:08 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
What "close to home immoral behavior" are you talking about, navy?

Be specific about family abortion details I've shared with the group.

Again:  Abortion is "morally wrong" unless and until it hits close to home.

Herman Adler

Oct 7, 2022, 6:03:30 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
And, of course, b e sure to copy and paste my words here in which I've stated - as you have on this thread - that abortion is "morally wrong".

Navy

Oct 7, 2022, 6:24:08 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia

It was a quesetion....notice the question mark Mr. 'teacher'?

Herman Adler

Oct 7, 2022, 6:28:38 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
LOL....so, you are unaware of any "immoral abortion behaviors" in my family.

You also cannot show that I have ever characterized abortion as "morally wrong".

Next time, think before you let your impulsivity lead you into a blind alley - and make you look the fool.

Back to what I said that set you off:

Abortion is "morally wrong" unless and until it hits close to home.

Navy

Oct 7, 2022, 6:38:14 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
Did I ask the wrong question? Sorry...

Herman Adler

Oct 7, 2022, 6:43:28 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
LOL...no, I haven't said that.  That you so often make yourself look foolish is on you, not on moi.

I've pointed out, though, that your impulsivity (and ignorance) led you to make 2 mistakes:

1)  I certainly haven't claimed that abortion is "morally wrong", and

2)  You aren't able to recall whether I've claimed a family member ("your own close to home") has had an abortion.

Btw, your peep Herschel Walker certainly does epitomize what I wrote:

Abortion is "morally wrong" unless and until it hits close to home.

Navy

Oct 7, 2022, 6:51:08 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
Oh well....your private lifef problems aren't my concern really.
Just thought that maybe you might have a antidotal reawsoning for your statement.
Wouldn't have surprised me as I said.

Herman Adler

Oct 7, 2022, 6:53:31 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
You yourself have shown that I have no "private lifef problems", navy.

You can't recall when I've talked about a family member's having an abortion, which you believe is "morally wrong".

Too bad you refuse to think before you type.

Navy

Oct 7, 2022, 8:58:40 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
Too bad you can't control my freedom of speech...no matter how badly you want it. :)
Must have touched a nerve with my question.
I always enjoy it when that happens ....

Herman Adler

Oct 7, 2022, 9:08:42 PM10/7/22
to Political Euwetopia
You're playing the victim now, navy.

Nothing I've said indicates I'm trying to "control your freedom of speech".

All I've done is point out the imbecility of your question, given the known fact that, unlike you, I don't denounce abortion as "morally wrong".

Btw, even though Maggie is a firm believer in the freedom to choose, she also didn't want any of our daughters to have to make that choice.  She saw to it that they were protected.

Too bad so many other mothers aren't so loving and so considerate.

Navy

Oct 8, 2022, 6:29:09 AM10/8/22
to Political Euwetopia
Encouraging that bad behavior sounds just like her....and you.