votes won by candidate

Aaron Swartz

Sep 16, 2010, 8:46:29 PM9/16/10
to poli...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have any data about how many votes each candidate won?
Ideally, I'd like to go from a CRP Candidate ID to a vote total, e.g.

N00001143
Ackerman, Gary
105,836

I see there's this unparsed data:

http://clerk.house.gov/member_info/electionInfo/index.html

And ICPSR has this for members but it only seems to go up to 1990:

http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/studies/7757?classification=ICPSR.XIV.A.3.a.

Anyone have anything better?

Josh Tauberer

Sep 16, 2010, 8:53:23 PM9/16/10
to poli...@googlegroups.com, Aaron Swartz
I think the FEC site has Excel spreadsheets somewhere. (I don't recall
if it has ID numbers for candidates.)

- Josh Tauberer
- CivicImpulse / GovTrack.us

House as props."

Daniel X. O'Neil

Sep 16, 2010, 9:31:24 PM9/16/10
to poli...@googlegroups.com
Aaron:

Not sure if you found it already, but this search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=xls&ft=i&as_sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fec.gov%2F&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

Yielded some good documents, including this:
www.fec.gov/pubrec/fe2008/2008congresults.xls

The directory structure looks relatively reliable for finding all files.
They use "FEC ID #" rather than "CRP Candidate ID"

--
Daniel X. O'Neil
http://www.derivativeworks.com/