latest on constitutional amendment

Public Citizen

Jul 26, 2024, 5:19:56 PM (15 hours ago) Jul 26
to policyp...@gmail.com
Yesterday we emailed you about our just-launched campaign for a constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court’s profoundly misguided ruling in Donald Trump’s immunity case.

More than 40 members of Congress have already signed on as co-sponsors of the amendment!

Here’s what Rep. Jamie Raskin — a noted constitutional law professor before he was elected to Congress — said:

“We must do everything in our power to reverse the Supreme Court’s outrageous betrayal of more than two centuries of constitutional law in America.”

This is the situation:
  • On July 1, the Supreme Court — in a case brought by Donald Trump — ruled that U.S. presidents are immune from prosecution for otherwise illegal actions they take as part of their official duties (with “official” being defined so loosely that it could cover just about anything).
  • By granting this sweeping power to break the law with impunity, the Supreme Court’s profoundly misguided ruling contrived an above-the-law status for American presidents heretofore associated with foreign despots, dictators, and kings.
  • Ironically, three days later the American people celebrated Independence Day, when we commemorate winning our freedom — two and a half centuries ago — from the very kind of tyrannical monarchy the Supreme Court ruling threatens to revive.
  • Reading the majority opinion in Trump v. United States on the day it was issued was sickening — physically and spiritually.
  • Public Citizen immediately got to work, connecting with coalition partners and allies on Capitol Hill, including Rep. Joe Morelle of New York.
Tell Congress:

Pass the just-introduced constitutional amendment to overturn the Supreme Court’s insane ruling in Donald Trump’s immunity case and to reestablish the longstanding, fundamental principle that no one — not even the president of the United States — is above the law.

Click to add your name right now.

Thanks for taking action.

For democracy,

- Robert Weissman & Lisa Gilbert, Co-Presidents of Public Citizen

Donate | Public Citizen | 1600 20th Street NW | Washington DC 20009 | Unsubscribe
supporter