Gmail access

chocola...@gmail.com

Jun 3, 2022, 1:32:10 PM6/3/22
to Polarbar Mailer
WW has found a way to access Gmail using Polarbar since the recent access restrictions were applied, using 2FA.

WW, I think you don't understand the reason for 2FA. If you only use your Google account for Gmail, this may seem unnecessary, but anyone having access to your Google account name and password can do a heck of a lot of damage, as it can provide access to a whole lot more than Gmail. The reason for requiring 2FA is sound.

There are two still alternative ways to access Gmail (apart from not using Polarbar of course.) One of these of "Sign on with Google" which is impractical for email (and is one of several reasons why 2FA is needed: to prevent someone else using your id and password for something entirely different.)

The second is OAUTH2, which was mentioned in Google's email. Polarbar does not support OAUTH (1 or 2) but it is possible to make it do so. In fact I have, for my personal use, but this is still not seamless. Once a week, I have to authorize Polarbar to access Gmail. This is still inconvenient, but for just Gmail access, less painful than 2FA once an hour as Popper checks Gmail! There are issues involved in making OAUTH2 support generally available.