Nick Wealthall

Eric

Apr 9, 2009, 6:02:16 AM4/9/09
to Poker daily news
Last week we interviewed multi talented poker entertainer Matt
Broughton and this week we bring you his partner in crime, Sky Poker
analyst Nick Wealthall. On top of being a player, writer and presenter
he is also co presenter of the 'On the Rail' Podcast with Kara Scott.
We spoke to Nick about being one of the busiest men in poker as well
as the upcoming Sky Poker UK Tour.

Pokernews: Player, presenter, writer, DJ - is there anything you
can't do in poker? What would you say was your job description?

Nick Wealthall: My job description is I'm a poker lover ... . not a
hater. The truth is I'm a very very lucky boy. Poker has always been
my hobby and my passion and I get to write and talk about it - often
people give me money to do it so I guess it's a busman's holiday. I
suppose I'm a 'poker broadcaster' or something - quick think of a
sexier description someone!

PN: So when you are not presenting, what felt can we find you at?

Nick Wealthall: My main games have always been cash. In the beginning
it was limit games, briefly stud then Hold'em. Then like everyone else
I transitioned to No Limit online for quite a time. Last summer my
game was in a rut and I'd lost some enthusiasm so I switched to Pot
Limit Omaha. I love the game and it's tough for me to play NLH - I
spend 90% of my playing time playing PLO online working up through the
limits its great fun. I play tournaments occasionally, mainly for fun
and as a change. I'm playing the WSOP main event for the first time
(partly thanks to Virgin poker) this year which is really exciting -
should be an awesome 40 minutes before my AA gets cracked.

PN: Are you still getting coached from Brian Townsend?

Nick Wealthall: I'm really lucky to count Brian as a friend. He seems
to get a kick out of coaching me so again I'm pretty lucky. It's an
amazing short cut to being a better player having someone that's so
good you can completely trust everything they say. Of course it
increases your standards a lot because you don't want to look bad but
it's really important to leave your ego at home if you get a poker
coach and show them you're play at its worst!

Nick Wealthall: I started on the rail with Kara Scott almost 2 years
ago now as we wanted our own project and we didn't think there was a
good UK poker podcast out there. We've been really proud and excited
by its success and it's allowed me to interview some of the biggest
and most interesting people in poker.

In the future I hope the podcast keeps growing and we get to do more
online events. We'll keep getting the best guests and, especially if
the listeners let us know the guests they want. Above all the podcast
is fun to do - and I hope it'll stay that way and be fun to listen
to.

The podcast now has its own website now, it has a lot of other cool
stuff, articles - blogs from some great poker people - and it'll have
other podcasts soon so stop by and say hello.

PN: Your mate Matt Broughton is about to co host the Jesse May show,
how does it feel kind of being in direct competition with your
friend?

Nick Wealthall: Matt who? To be honest it isn't a competition ... well
certainly not a close one. If he even dreams he can beat me he needs
to wake up and apologise.

To be honest I think their show will be great and I'll be checking it
out. The thing is there isn't any competition; we're really good
friends, he'll do a great job and even if we weren't friends there's
lots of room for many different forms of poker goodness. I've got
about 5 different podcasts on my ipod and I'm sure everyone else has.

Also I should point out Matt has a little beard.

PN: Will we see you at the SPUKT grand final in Nottingham?

Nick Wealthall: Not sure if I'll be playing it or not - I need to talk
to Sky about how they should definitely be buying in all their
presenters who love them so much and do so much for them.

Big live events of any kind are great - really exciting and full of
energy. The Sky Tour is particularly good as it lets the presenters
meet the players and vice versa. Sky poker's really big on building a
community - that's the nice, fun side of poker. There are poker
communities online and live all over the country and its fun that it's
not always about beating each other up for chips (it is really)

PN: You have been presenting interactive poker shows for a long time,
how far do you think the sky players have come along in the last 2
years?

Nick Wealthall: A really long way - the standard is way better; much
more aggressive and knowledgeable. We're launching a new sky poker
school show which I'm hosting which should increase the standard even
more. One thing Sky deserves a lot of credit for is attracting brand
new players to poker - its TV reach means it can do that and I'm sure
it's something that'll continue.

PN: You are known for your advice on sky poker and PNL before it,
have you ever had anyone come up to you and say something along the
lines of 'I became a pro thanks to you?'

Nick Wealthall: It happens more than I ever thought it would. I think
all the presenters/analysts on Sky have experienced it and it's a
great feeling. Poker Night Live was an amazing show for that - it
finished maybe 3 years ago now and last world series 3 separate
people, one of them an established pro, approached me to tell me I and
the show had massively helped them and made them a tonne of money.
It's funny though almost all of them clam up and quickly leave when I
ask for my cut.

Eric

Apr 15, 2009, 2:05:07 AM4/15/09
to Poker daily news
If you want to play in the SPUKT Main Event at DTD in Nottingham
with Nick for FREE then we are giving away a seat away in our freeroll
on the 4th of April and a further seat will be up for grabs in May.
All you have to do is sign up a new account via our Sky Poker links
and earn 250 Sky Poker Points, you will also be eligible for a