Airlift wing recruiters want pioneers to come to Papa, Hungary

Eric

Apr 16, 2009, 2:06:49 AM4/16/09
to Poker daily news
U.S. airmen are becoming a common sight on the streets of Papa, a
small town of 32,000 in western Hungary. Personnel from 10 NATO
countries and two non-NATO countries have joined forces to form the
Strategic Airlift Capability project, a multinational consortium that
involves a Heavy Airlift Wing of three C-17s. With about 150
personnel, plus family members and contractors, the international
crowd is adding an economic jolt to the sleepy city 100 miles west of
Budapest. First Lt. Szabolcs Szaloky of Hungary gathers up English-
language phonebooks at city hall in Papa. Though there are few English
speakers in town, city leaders and local business owners have been
responding to the need for more English services in an area, where
German is the most common second language. English menus are now
commonplace at local restaurants.

And at his favorite watering hole, his personal hockey gear hangs on
the wall of the sports-themed pub alongside other memorabilia.

Despite a language barrier, Prebble finds a way to communicate with
the local clientele during poker games and even gets special treatment
in the form of free extra helpings of food.

"When I I really I like to immerse myself in the place," said Prebble,
an outgoing Maryland native serving with the new multinational Heavy
Airlift Wing at Papa Air Base.

Commanders from the 12 countries involved in the new Strategic Airlift
Capability project are looking to recruit people like Prebble who they
Col. John Zazworsky, the wing commander.

After all, those troops are on three-year tours in a place where few
speak English. Common services such as a commissary, base exchange,
base housing or a base school are nonexistent, not to mention VAT
cards, tax-free gas or any of the usual accoutrements of an overseas
assignment.

There Indeed, many of the locals have embraced the multinational
group, who are bringing an economic jolt to the area during difficult
financial times.

"All these folks have rolled out the red carpet and given us the VIP
treatment," said Lt. Col. Pete Sipos, the flight surgeon, who also is
fluent in Hungarian.

Tamas Aldozo, Papa There are plans for a new 150-room hotel in town to
meet the growing need as more people come to Papa on business
associated with the air base.

Papa also could be just about the only place where the housing and
rental business is booming as wing members arrive with hefty housing
allowances in tow.

"It My hope is that they (the troops) enjoy themselves here and that
the restaurants and businesses pay plenty of taxes to the city,"
Aldozo said with a smile.

Jennifer Buchanan, an Air Force spouse, said most of the women she
talks with have settled in well.