Officials seize 23 pokers machines, $10K, 2 cars in gambling bust

1 view

Eric

May 22, 2009, 4:44:04 AM5/22/09
to Poker daily news
HARTSVILLE, SC (WMBF) - Darlington investigators seized 23 illegal
poker machines and arrested two people for allegedly operating a
gambling house.

Darlington County deputies raided a business at 726 E. Carolina Ave.
in Hartsville. Inside, they found eight illegal poker machines and a
back door that had been wired with a booby trap.

Bomb squad units with the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division
disarmed the two devices, but authorities would not disclose what the
devices where, saying "they were patently deadly."

Captain Andy Lockair of the Darlington County Sheriff's Office said,
"We're not releasing what the specific device is because we don't want
to promote to anyone else on how to do this. Not only could it cause
injury to an innocent bystander but you could also injure yourself."

After taking possession of the eight machines, officials executed a
search warrant for a storage facility where investigators found 15
more machines. Inside the storage facility, deputies also found a
small quantity of marijuana and a handgun.

In addition to the 23 poker machines, units seized two vehicles and
nearly $10,000 in cash.

"This was a big bust, and I'm glad of the results," said Darlington
County Sheriff Wayne Byrd. "But the main deal here is to find where
the machines are coming from."

Bobby Carroll Hendrix, 54, and Rufus Atkinson, 65, both of Hartsville,
have been charged with operating gambling house. Hendrix is also
charged with possession with intent to distribute marijuana and
possession of an explosive device. How to Win at Poker http://pokermilk.com/6