Fw: [Whyalla] Can anyone tell me where Point Hummocks is or was...

Greg Curnow

Jul 11, 2013, 7:38:17 PM7/11/13
to pla
FYI ...  please distribute freely

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Dan Monceaux <notification...@facebookmail.com>
To: Whyalla <45051...@groups.facebook.com>
Sent: Thursday, 11 July 2013 7:34 PM
Subject: [Whyalla] Can anyone tell me where Point Hummocks is or was...

Can anyone tell me where Point Hummocks is or...
Dan Monceaux 7:34pm Jul 11
Can anyone tell me where Point Hummocks is or was in Spencer Gulf? I'm trying to locate a rare turtle sighting reported in a newspaper from a ship which sailed from Tasmania to Port Pirie back in 1876.

View Post on Facebook · Edit Email Settings · Reply to this email to add a comment.

Alan Hall

Jul 11, 2013, 11:26:28 PM7/11/13
to point-low...@googlegroups.com

Hummock hill directly behind the marina

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Point Lowly Action" group.

ROD GRUNDY

Jul 21, 2013, 10:18:20 AM7/21/13
to point-low...@googlegroups.com
Dan,

There is a "Two Hummock Point" North of Whyalla approximately half way to Port Augusta on the Western shore of Spencer Gulf (Grid ref: 32 degrees 45'21.39" S 137 degrees 48'33.05" E )

There is also a "Hummocky Point" on the northern shore of Kangaroo Island east of Stokes Bay (Grid ref: 35 degrees 36'18.06" S, 137 degrees 14'22.88" E )

You can locate them both on Google Earth using these grid references. Names are not shown on Google, but I got them from navigational charts of South Australia. A ship going to Port Pirie would not pass the Spencer Gulf one as it is too far North.

I have seen sea turtles here at Point Lowly in the last couple of years. There was one about 500 mm in diameter swimming around the Point Lowly marina wall at Easter time this year. The previous one I saw about 3 years ago approximately 1 km off shore at Point Lowly, about 1 m in diameter.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Rod Grundy

Dan Monceaux

Jul 22, 2013, 4:07:48 AM7/22/13
to point-low...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info on these landmarks, Rod.. and extra special thanks for the turtle sighting info. If you have any other memories of the turtle sightings, I'd love to hear them. Ie, size shape, colour, shell marking. I'm trying to get  a clearer picture of turtle activity in Spencer Gulf, and I'm relying almost exclusively on the work of beachcombers and anglers.

For everyone's benefit, this Lands Titles Office website is great for finding landmarks. You can search for them, and you can even turn on a 'dual naming' layer which shows many of Baudin's forgotten French alternative names of landmarks. Here's the link: http://maps.sa.gov.au/plb/

Best,

Dan 0411039592