Wanted: Your ZipOdes to Benicia!

poetlaure...@gmail.com

May 26, 2023, 7:18:07 PM5/26/23
to Poetry Notes

Send in your Benicia ZipOdes!

Whether you are a Benicia resident or connected to Benicia by another affiliation,

send  ZipOdes* by June 9 to poetlaure...@gmail.com subject line ZipOdes.

*Scroll down the page for full information

What’s a ZipOde?:  A ZipOde is a poem about a town, based on that town’s zip code.

  • Your ZipOde will have 5 lines, one for each digit in Benicia’s zip code.
  • The number of words in each line is determined by the digits in the zip code.

ZipOde for zip code 94510, Benicia CA, would have this word distribution:

9              [9 words]

4              [4 words]

5              [5 words]

1                      [1 word]

0              [no words—you can use a symbol or a sound or silence]

An example:

9        I will change into my painting pants and shirt

4        Benicia is a palette

5        Of limitless and gorgeous vistas

1        Yay!

0        [Ooooo]

Writing your ZipOdes:

  • Write and submit as many as you like.
  • Write about any aspect of Benicia: the beauty, the shortcomings, your appreciation, your frustrations, whatever.

Submitted ZipOdes

  • May be displayed at the Benicia Library,
  • Or read aloud at the June 25th event “Benicia Our Home” (see flyer attached).
  • Will be collected and posted on the Library website.
  • Your ZipOde will be identified by your first name and last name initial—unless you request anonymity.

Send in your Benicia ZipOdes!

Mary Susan Gast

Benicia Poet Laureate

707 373 6825