Love Poetry Contest Winners + links to the Love Poetry Celebration

poetlaure...@gmail.com

May 8, 2023, 2:09:16 PM5/8/23
to Poetry Notes

Becky Bishop White (our redoubtable submissions coordinator) and I thank all who sent poems to this year’s contest and all who took part in the Love Poetry Celebration. Becky and I had the chance to read all the poems submitted, and were impressed and moved by the variety and depth of the expressions of love.

Our judges this year were noted poets Tony Aldarondo, Polina Barskova, and Anara Guard.  Each judge received a packet of printed poems with no indication of the identity of the author.  Working on their own,  each judge chose their “top thirteen.”  A Zoom call brought the judges together to review and discuss their top choices.  Spanning their diversity of esthetics and cultural backgrounds, they reached consensus on the awards.  The prize-winning poems are listed below and may be read at https://benicialibrary.org/poet/lovepoetry

The link to the video of the Celebration, including the reading of the prize-winning poems and the love poems read at the open mic is found at Love Poetry Celebration 2023 Recording

The words of U.S. Poet Laureate Ada Limón, from her poem “Dead Stars,” set the context for this year’s contest,

“Look, we are not unspectacular things.
                       We’ve come this far, survived this much. What

                                    would happen if we decided to survive more? To love harder?”

The poems submitted to the contest and read at the celebration definitely rose to that challenge.

Benicia Love Poetry Contest

Winning Poems,   2023

First Prize    “Fifty Years and Counting”  Louise Kantro

Second Prize  “A Woman Tells a Story”  Valerie Sopher

Third Prize  “My Constant Wife”  Dan Williams

Honorable Mentions:

Blocks, Blueberries and Muddy Hands” Louise Moises

Love Haiku”  Juanita Martin

Ode to Joye”  Teresa Van Woy

One Day After Your Visit”  Deborah Silverman

Voice in Past Perfect Tense”   Ellaraine Lockie

Mary Susan Gast

Benicia Poet Laureate

707 373 6825