A Poem for Today - The Coming of Light

KEN DICKINSON

Jun 6, 2024, 2:20:50 AMJun 6
to po...@googlegroups.com

The Coming of Light

Even this late it happens:
the coming of love, the coming of light.
You wake and the candles are lit as if by themselves,
stars gather, dreams pour into your pillows,
sending up warm bouquets of air.
Even this late the bones of the body shine
and tomorrow’s dust flares into breath.

- Mark Strand
Sent from my iPhone

John Jai Conley

Jun 6, 2024, 2:29:47 AMJun 6
to po...@googlegroups.com
A soft and lovely light for this evening.

Thank you.

Marvin Glass

Jun 6, 2024, 3:41:54 AMJun 6
to po...@googlegroups.com
ken:  Mark's extraordinary poem floats on the very air from which it was made, (the Breath). It is special to me because I knew Mark at the Writer's workshop at the Univ of Iowa many years ago. He was dark, somewhat brooding, tall and quite handsome. He smoked a pipe as you'd expect. Note the pitch perfect diction, and the way mood and moment come together to induce meaning and feeling.   He passed away a few years ago, but he is so well remembered.  Thank you Mark ...and as ever Ken and Jan..!!