Google code project

Chris McCormick

Sep 12, 2009, 11:43:22 AM9/12/09
to pods...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I put up a Google code project and am pushing my bzr repository into the SVN
repository there, so if you'd rather use SVN to pull the code, you can do that
now. Also, feel free to file bugs there too on the issues page, or post them
here.

<http://code.google.com/p/podsixnet/>

Would love to hear about anyone using PodSixNet successfully in a project. :)

Best,

Chris.

-------------------
http://mccormick.cx

Bruce Smith

Sep 12, 2009, 7:29:16 PM9/12/09
to pods...@googlegroups.com
I've just discovered PodSixNet and plan to use it, but so far I've only verified some tests work. It looks very simple, clean, and good, so I'm excited about it and greatly appreciate it.

IMHO, the example code would be clearer and/or easier to test if:

- it never used "import *" (this makes it hard to figure out what is actually being used, from where);

- there were another couple of examples (as it is, I can only try the chat example since I don't have pygame installed);

- the examples would grab IP address and port from sys.argv (using default values for missing arguments) rather than relying on default values buried inside the library functions.

The docs would be clearer if the customizable part of the method names was made more explicit in the docs. (I forget the exact string used for that part since I don't have the docs in front of me right now. I think it started with "my".)

The only big missing feature I've noticed is letting a client connect to more than one server. (I have use cases for this, though they are not "multiplayer games".)

The chat example uses about 3.5% CPU when doing nothing (I think that was true for both server and client; on Mac Leopard), not affected by changing the sleep times to 0.01. This is ok, but mysterious, and might not always be ok. Probably it should be documented (and explained if possible).

- Bruce Smith

Chris McCormick

Sep 13, 2009, 6:46:54 AM9/13/09
to pods...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

Great, thanks for the feedback. I will investigate these issues and
suggestions and see what I can do to improve the code.

With regards to more examples, what kind of examples do you think would be
useful? What graphics toolkit do you use, if I was to attempt to port the
whiteboard example?

Chris.
http://mccormick.cx

Bruce Smith

Sep 15, 2009, 1:41:28 PM9/15/09
to pods...@googlegroups.com
I use pyglet... I might end up creating a whiteboard-like example myself, in pyglet, and if so I will certainly contribute it. If that was there and if the existing examples were fully ready to run locally or remotely based on command-line arguments, then I'd think there were enough examples already.

- Bruce