Hi About UDP

Afke

Feb 28, 2011, 8:42:06 PM2/28/11
to PodSixNet
Hi

Is there any news about UDP integration. Or can you show me the
direction to help me to solve the problem .

Thanks

Chris McCormick

Feb 28, 2011, 11:22:06 PM2/28/11
to pods...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

When I last looked at the UDP situation it was a bit more complicated than I
thought, and I gave up because I don't need such low latency in my games.
Probably you want to look at how to make the asynchat library under PodSixNet,
use different socket settings for UDP instead.

One issue you will probably encounter is in the fact that PodSixNet uses
serialized data. UDP is not reliable, so if you lose a packet when transmitting
the whole protocol will probably break. I think it's possible to use a specific
variant of UDP to ensure better reliability, but I can't remember the details
on that.

Cheers,

Chris.

> --

-------------------
http://mccormick.cx

Afan Olovcic

Mar 1, 2011, 4:51:03 PM3/1/11
to pods...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thank you for your fast replay.
Actually I think it is best to integrate the UDP as a plugin because even mmo rpg gamesuse both depending on the type of data as well as the importance of the data. UDP is used because it is fast and the header is smaller, so that reduces bandwith . Of course,all changes will send to you, to help to improve this wonderful module.

Chris McCormick

Mar 1, 2011, 10:34:09 PM3/1/11
to pods...@googlegroups.com
Hi Afan,

For sure, UDP would be useful. Feel free to send me patches if you get
something working.

Cheers,

Chris.