Can you follow these instructions and make a podcast in 15 minutes

Andy

Oct 4, 2009, 1:09:40 PM10/4/09
to Podcasting Unleashed
Hi All,

Here's a challenge. Can you make a podcast in 15 minutes by following
the PDF chapter of the book here:

http://media3.wireworldmedia.co.uk/b37b0dd7f6ecc71b295c20c9fe9d4dc0/podcast_in_15_mins.pdf

Does it work like a charm or do you get stuck somewhere? In the book
the previous chapter sets out the podcasters toolbox so it discusses
stuff like Audacity and FTP hosting accounts - it is assumed you have/
know about these.

Let me know your experiences.

Best
Andy

Steve Davis

Oct 5, 2009, 7:48:23 AM10/5/09
to podcasting...@googlegroups.com
Andy

Did it (www.stevedavis.com.au/show001) and left the file raw with some
throat-clearing. Nice!

It worked a charm but here are, a few items of note:

1 - Newbies might need you to specify "then replace the values in curly
braces with appropriate values for you (and remove the curly braces too)"
2 - I wonder if it might be cleaner to get them to create a folder on their
server too, like show001 or similar. (I didn't want my homepage replaced by
index.html, even for just 15 minutes).
3 - And if we decide to climb the mountain of them creating a new folder on
their server, we may as well place the mp3 file in the same folder so that
the FTP process is simple (all to the same place rather than FTP sound to
the root, etc).
4 - You might want to say they can ignore the mp3 pop up box in Audacity,
prompting them for title, author, etc, at this stage. Or do you want them to
fill it out for practice?

Apart from that - it is superb and detailed nicely. Especially the guide to
which bit of the file size to use.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Davis - Marketing & Communication in the Social Marketplace
Adnamira House
3 Adnamira Avenue
Rostrevor, South Australia, 5073
ABN 24 332 549 321

Phone:      +61 (0)8 8365 8507
Mobile:      +61 (0) 403 022 077
Facebook: stevedavis
Twitter:      stevedavis
Skype:        steve.davis.communication

s...@stevedavis.com.au
www.stevedavis.com.au

This message is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the
named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete it from your system. E-mail transmission cannot
be guaranteed to be secure, error-free or free from viruses. The sender
therefore does not accept liability for any costs or losses which may result
from errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a
hard-copy version.

Steve Davis

Oct 5, 2009, 7:50:01 AM10/5/09
to podcasting...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, gang, on two counts.

1 - I forgot this would go to the whole group.
2 - There was a wayward comma due to me working on this late at night.

Ian Ozsvald

Oct 5, 2009, 8:02:36 AM10/5/09
to podcasting...@googlegroups.com
Steve - your message was fine for the Group :-)  I'm doing the same thing for my Screencasting Handbook, I'd encouraged Andy to do the same here.  Here's my group:
http://groups.google.com/group/thescreencastinghandbook

Hi Andy.  I've just read the chapter.  Some suggestions:

For newbies, they might not know how to select their mic.  Show two extra screenshots, one showing what a successful recording looks like, also show another where only line noise was recorded (in case they didn't select a real mic).  Visually they should be able to trouble-shoot from these two pictures.

Also tell them how to play the audio back so they can verify the recording and maybe delete it (they might not want a really-rubbish recording going to their website).

In the Write Feed File you could boldify the bits that we're supposed to fill in.  For non-XML users the current file looks quite scary, if you do the bolding it'll be much more manageable.

Do you have an example set of files we can look at?  A working example to dissect would be grand.

This entire process would definitely benefit from a screencast - just a 5 min recording using Jing showing 'how it all works' would be fab.  Maybe one for recording and one for the finished result (where you show the xml/html files etc)?  I recorded 'how to make your first screencast in the next 30 mins' on Saturday and it came to 10 minutes (which includes a 3 minute tour as a real example).  I'll have that edited and online soon, you might find the example useful.

Ian.

2009/10/4 Andy <wirewor...@googlemail.com>

--
Ian Ozsvald (Professional Screencaster)
i...@ProCasts.co.uk

http://ProCasts.co.uk/examples.html
http://TheScreencastingHandbook.com
http://IanOzsvald.com + http://ShowMeDo.com
http://twitter.com/ianozsvald

Barry

Oct 8, 2009, 5:06:40 AM10/8/09
to Podcasting Unleashed
Hi Andy, one point, audacity asks me what type of MP3 i would like ot
export to, "more compatible" or "latest with new features" it may be
worth adding which one you recommend. :)