Posterous as a beginners podcasting tool

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Andy

unread,
Oct 5, 2009, 10:17:56 AM10/5/09
to Podcasting Unleashed
Hi All,

Recently I discovered http://posterous.com

In essence, after setting up an account (easy), you email stuff to it
and it gets posted as a blog entry, complete with RSS feed. If you
attach a photo, it gets displayed nicely, if you attach several
photos, they get displayed in a nice viewer. And here's the clincher
for budding podcasters - it you attach an MP3, it gets embedded in the
page as a nice flash player - here's my first effort:

http://doctorpod.posterous.com/my-first-posterous-post-825

What are people's thoughts on posterous as a good way for newby
podcasters to get up and running? BTY they give 1GB storage for free.

Regards
Andy

Simon B

unread,
Oct 8, 2009, 7:29:30 AM10/8/09
to Podcasting Unleashed
Good tip. Just tried it with a view to seeing if it can pull in any
more listeners than just posting on our website.

Remarkably easy to set up - my only question would be regarding
uploading files, as at 37.5 megs the file was too big to email and I
couldn't find any way to upload direct via posterous (though I didn't
try too hard...). Linked instead to the feedburner feed, which should
at least help with the stats, but guess this wouldn't work for a
newbie without any hosting...

http://thebaretruth.posterous.com/

Cheers,

Simon

On 5 Oct, 15:17, Andy <wireworldme...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Recently I discoveredhttp://posterous.com

Terry

unread,
Oct 12, 2009, 7:22:48 AM10/12/09
to Podcasting Unleashed
I messed about with Posterous a few months ago (http://
redduffman.blogspot.com/2009/04/joy-of-posterous.html) and was
surprised that it did not get the sort of attention that Audioboo
recieved at the time. Especially when you consider that all you need
to record, publish and aggregate is a standard phone with a 3g
connection as opposed to an iPhone. I particularly like the fact that
it automatically generates a feed for your iTunes and other readers.

I wouldn't recommend it for large audio files though for the same
reason that Simon gave. I too have not been able to find a way to
upload a file directly as opposed to via e-mail.

However, it is ideal for beginners getting to grips with podcasting
and who don't want to bother hosting their own files. It's also ideal
for mobile podcasting.

Andy

unread,
Oct 29, 2009, 2:25:43 PM10/29/09
to Podcasting Unleashed
Well spotted! In my excitement I completely overlooked the email
attachment size limitation. As you say ideal for beginners and people
with short podcasts (under about 10 mins) I guess.

Best
Andy

Andy

unread,
Nov 18, 2009, 10:03:16 AM11/18/09
to Podcasting Unleashed
Look like Type Pad have joined in!
Have posted about this - http://podcastingunleashedthebook.com/2009/11/18/type-pad-now-accepts-email-and-audio-posts/

On Oct 5, 2:17 pm, Andy <wireworldme...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Recently I discoveredhttp://posterous.com
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages