[podcasters] Redirecting a feed...

Mar 21, 2008, 12:02:03 AM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Simple question...

I would like to revamp the Dr. Floyd site, possibly upgrading to WordPress. Thing is I
wouldn't want to change the feed address so people who are subscribed now will not be
interrupted. Can you use standard html redirect code in an xml file? So they can stay
subscribed but queries will be directed to the new address.

In a related question, will this cause any bumps or irregularities in iTunes or other
podcatchers?

Thanks!

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Instant hello

Chat in real-time

with your friends.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Mar 21, 2008, 12:27:53 AM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:02 AM, G <grant@throwingtoasters.com> wrote:

> I would like to revamp the Dr. Floyd site, possibly upgrading to WordPress. Thing is I
> wouldn't want to change the feed address so people who are subscribed now will not be
> interrupted. Can you use standard html redirect code in an xml file? So they can stay
> subscribed but queries will be directed to the new address.

Depending on where your Web site is hosted, you can probably do it
with a redirect in a special file called .htaccess -- see:

http://www.webweaver.nu/html-tips/web-redirection.shtml

> In a related question, will this cause any bumps or irregularities in iTunes or other
> podcatchers?

It shouldn't. There's also an iTunes element you can put into your
feed called <itunes:new-feed-url> which will permanently update all
iTunes clients to check out the new location. But since it only works
for iTunes, it isn't sufficient, and you should also do the .htaccess
thing.

(This, by the way, is one reason I've found it convenient to use
Feedburner, especially with their URL-on-your-own-domain option.
Moving feed links and implementations around is a lot simpler; I can
just update my Feedburner settings page, and no one else ever
notices.)

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Instant hello

Chat in real-time

with your friends.

All-Bran

10 Day Challenge

Join the club and

feel the benefits.

.

__,_._,___

Mar 21, 2008, 2:20:00 PM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

THanks Stephen. Yeah, we've looked into Feedburner. My only fear is that that feed is sort
of 'out of my control'. Just makes a me a littler nervous, stemming from a time my once
mighty name registrar went berzerk and locked up all the names registered with them). I
just like having 'complete' control of my site (when possible). Perhaps it's time to take
another peek at Feedburner.

--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:02 AM, G <grant@...> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to revamp the Dr. Floyd site, possibly upgrading to WordPress. Thing is I
> > wouldn't want to change the feed address so people who are subscribed now will not
be
> > interrupted. Can you use standard html redirect code in an xml file? So they can stay
> > subscribed but queries will be directed to the new address.
>
> Depending on where your Web site is hosted, you can probably do it
> with a redirect in a special file called .htaccess -- see:
>
> http://www.webweaver.nu/html-tips/web-redirection.shtml
>

> > In a related question, will this cause any bumps or irregularities in iTunes or other
> > podcatchers?
>
> It shouldn't. There's also an iTunes element you can put into your
> feed called <itunes:new-feed-url> which will permanently update all
> iTunes clients to check out the new location. But since it only works
> for iTunes, it isn't sufficient, and you should also do the .htaccess
> thing.
>
> (This, by the way, is one reason I've found it convenient to use
> Feedburner, especially with their URL-on-your-own-domain option.
> Moving feed links and implementations around is a lot simpler; I can
> just update my Feedburner settings page, and no one else ever
> notices.)
>

> --
> Have Fun,

> Steve Eley (sfeley@...)

> http://www.escapepod.org

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Featured Y! Groups

and category pages.

There is something

for everyone.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Mar 21, 2008, 2:47:04 PM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

You can now set up Feedburner so that it answers to a subdomain you
control. (E.g., I use feeds.escapepod.org) That way, if they do
someday implode, you can update the DNS and point it back to something
on your own machine again. It'd be a setup hassle if that happened,
but you wouldn't lose your feed audience.

Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

http://www.escapepod.org

YahooGroups Podcasters Links