[podcasters] What causes "feedbarf"?

Nobilis

Mar 21, 2008, 12:31:25 AM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Every once in a while, my feed reader (Juice) will decide that I have
not, in fact, been listening to a particular podcast since the
beginning, and that I need to download all fifty episodes that are in
the feed it's looking at. It's a pain in the butt to correct, and I
want to make sure that I never, ever do anything to make this happen
to my listeners.

What causes this? Is it a bug in Juice, or did the podcaster do
something to his feed to make it think that it needed to re-download
everything?

-----
Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Quick file sharing

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

Curves on Yahoo!

Share & discuss

Curves, fitness

and weight loss.

.

__,_._,___

Erk Pod

Mar 21, 2008, 12:44:47 AM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

I've seen the same thing in iTunes. Most of the time I've seen this happen,
it has been with feeds from radio stations, not so much the indie podcaster.

Erk

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM, Nobilis <authornobilis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Every once in a while, my feed reader (Juice) will decide that I have
> not, in fact, been listening to a particular podcast since the
> beginning, and that I need to download all fifty episodes that are in
> the feed it's looking at. It's a pain in the butt to correct, and I
> want to make sure that I never, ever do anything to make this happen
> to my listeners.
>
> What causes this? Is it a bug in Juice, or did the podcaster do
> something to his feed to make it think that it needed to re-download
> everything?

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Groups related to podcasters
c6x
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
The goal of this egroup is to facilitate the excha...
aps-chetna
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
This group is made to help job seekers appearing f...
c54x
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
The goal of this discussion group is to facilitate...
Information_System
s_Forum
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
If you are interested in how nonprofit organizatio...
code-comp
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
The goal of this group is to facilitate the exchan...
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Send pics quick

Share photos while

you IM friends.

Weight Loss Group

on Yahoo! Groups

Get support and

make friends online.

.

__,_._,___

James Ballard

Mar 21, 2008, 12:57:06 AM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Juice started doing that weekly for me ... not every episode in the feed,
but usually the last 10 or 15.

So I ditched Juice and went to Ziepod. Hasn't happened since (though Ziepod
sometimes crashes hard when it starts...) except with Scott Sigler's feed.
It kept grabbing a random recent episode. After Nocturnal #19 came out, it
grabbed Nocturnal #15 too..

I'd chalk it up to a bug in the podcatcher rather than a burp in the feed,
at least in this case...

--
Karak Speaks True - Stories of Alternia
Weekly (ish) fiction podcast

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Files to share?

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Mar 21, 2008, 1:10:36 AM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Nobilis <authornobilis@gmail.com> wrote:

> What causes this? Is it a bug in Juice, or did the podcaster do
> something to his feed to make it think that it needed to re-download
> everything?

I don't know about Juice, but it happens in iTunes sometimes too.
When I see it happen, it's _usually_ due to some change the podcaster
made in their feed. Could have been changing blogging platforms or
configurations and resetting all the GUID values; could have been a
change in dates or enclosure URLs; could have been just looking at it
cross-eyed.

You can minimize the odds of stuff like this by being careful with
changes, but I'm not sure there's much you can do to guarantee that it
"never, ever" happens. (Well, short of not podcasting, I suppose.)
It's an annoyance, but I doubt it's one that'll lose audience unless
it happens too often. Do you ever unsubscribe to the ones that do it
on you in Juice?

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Instant hello

Chat over IM with

group members.

.

__,_._,___

Nobilis

Mar 21, 2008, 2:41:04 AM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 1:10 AM, Stephen Eley <SFEley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you ever unsubscribe to the ones that do it
> on you in Juice?

Not solely for that reason, no, but it has been a contributing factor
when it happened twice in one week.

-----
Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

.

__,_._,___

Brains Matter

Mar 21, 2008, 3:21:16 AM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Sometimes a re-jig to the web site and/or moving a feed to a new
address will do it (it's not noticeable to the listener since a lot of
people use feed aliases or services such as feedburner)

Feedburner also allows you to do something like a 'resynchronisation'
of your feed, which will have the same effect as well.

OG

--
Brains Matter Podcast
Melbourne, Australia

On 21/03/2008, at 3:31 PM, Nobilis wrote:

> Every once in a while, my feed reader (Juice) will decide that I have
> not, in fact, been listening to a particular podcast since the
> beginning, and that I need to download all fifty episodes that are in
> the feed it's looking at. It's a pain in the butt to correct, and I
> want to make sure that I never, ever do anything to make this happen
> to my listeners.
>
> What causes this? Is it a bug in Juice, or did the podcaster do
> something to his feed to make it think that it needed to re-download
> everything?
>
> --
> Weekly erotica served up on your ipod or mp3 player -- subscribe to
> Nobilis Erotica: http://nobilis.libsyn.com
> -----
> Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Best of Y! Groups

Discover groups

that are the best

of their class.

.

__,_._,___

Nomad Scry

Mar 22, 2008, 5:46:39 AM3/22/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Nobilis <authornobilis@...> wrote:
> >
> > What causes this? Is it a bug in Juice, or did the podcaster do

> I don't know about Juice, but it happens in iTunes sometimes too.
> When I see it happen, it's _usually_ due to some change the podcaster
> made in their feed. Could have been changing blogging platforms or

I've had the periodic 'feedbarf' (nice term) happen in iTunes, Zune,
Dopplr, Juice, and the two other podcatchers that I've played with. I
think that Mozilla Thunderbird did it once. And Google Reader very
very rarely feedbarfes.

Which makes me think that the problem is a combination of both the
program and the feed. IMO, the 'catchers simply are not flexible
enough to deal with any variation in the feeds.

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/