[podcasters] Vista distorting Audio?

JM Campbell

Mar 20, 2008, 11:58:08 AM3/20/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

So, I got a new PC and figured that would be the perfect opportunity
to finally switch my mixers (upgraded to a Mackie DFX-12) and the new
PC is a Vista (Yes, I know "vista, ick." "why didn't you buy a mac?")

Anyways, when I try to play audio off of the Vista PC I have a 1/4 to
1/2 cable from the PC's line-out to the line-in on the mixer. I have
my headphones plugged into the mixer. The audio coming from the PC
sounds distorted with digital noise and clipping. If I plug headphones
into the PC it sounds fine. It's this way with MP3s and WAVs.

I'm wondering if this may be some kind of anti-piracy protection in
Vista that knows it is plugging into a mixer or recording device? I
did a google search and have not been able to find anything. I guess
the next step is to try and plug into the old mixer, see if it's a
mixer issue.

If not, any clues on how to bypass this?

Anyone know what else might be causing the issue?
Also if I take the PC line-out into a mic preamp before the mixer will
that help boost levels at all?

Thanks for the help

-JMCampbell
comicsradar.com
notsoup.com

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Groups related to podcasters
c6x
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
The goal of this egroup is to facilitate the excha...
aps-chetna
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
This group is made to help job seekers appearing f...
c54x
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
The goal of this discussion group is to facilitate...
Information_System
s_Forum
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
If you are interested in how nonprofit organizatio...
code-comp
(Computers & Internet/Communications and Networking)
The goal of this group is to facilitate the exchan...
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Quick file sharing

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

.

__,_._,___

Richard Amirault

Mar 20, 2008, 12:24:12 PM3/20/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

> Anyways, when I try to play audio off of the Vista PC I have a 1/4 to
> 1/2 cable from the PC's line-out to the line-in on the mixer. I have
> my headphones plugged into the mixer. The audio coming from the PC
> sounds distorted with digital noise and clipping. If I plug headphones
> into the PC it sounds fine. It's this way with MP3s and WAVs.
>
> I'm wondering if this may be some kind of anti-piracy protection in
> Vista that knows it is plugging into a mixer or recording device? I
> did a google search and have not been able to find anything. I guess
> the next step is to try and plug into the old mixer, see if it's a
> mixer issue.
>
> If not, any clues on how to bypass this?
>
> Anyone know what else might be causing the issue?
> Also if I take the PC line-out into a mic preamp before the mixer will
> that help boost levels at all?

Sounds to me like you already have too much level. WHERE on the mixer are
you plugging in? I know you said "line-in" but where exactly? Is there a
fader that controls that jack? If not, try plugging it into a jack that is
controlled by a fader and see what happens.

Richard Amirault
Boston, MA, USA
http://n1jdu.org
http://bostonfandom.org

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Autos Group

on Yahoo! Groups

Discuss ways to

fix your car.

.

__,_._,___

JM Campbell

Mar 20, 2008, 12:49:59 PM3/20/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Amirault" <ramirault@...>
wrote:

> Sounds to me like you already have too much level. WHERE on the
mixer are
> you plugging in? I know you said "line-in" but where exactly? Is
there a
> fader that controls that jack? If not, try plugging it into a jack
that is
> controlled by a fader and see what happens.
>
> Richard Amirault

http://es.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/mackie+dfx12+mixer+analogique+12+entrees.JPG
Here's a big picture of the mixer.

I'm plugging in to the line-in on pot 3.
When I adjust the gain and fader I either hear very low audio (not
high enough to record) or the cracking and popping audio.

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Groups

Women of Curves

Discuss food, fitness

and weight loss.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Mar 20, 2008, 3:41:18 PM3/20/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:58 AM, JM Campbell <geek4x4@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if this may be some kind of anti-piracy protection in
> Vista that knows it is plugging into a mixer or recording device?

No, sound cards aren't that smart yet. Vista does play those sorts of
games with monitors and video, but an audio jack is an audio jack.
(Unless it's digital audio. But never mind that.)

The only thing I can think of to suggest -- and you were pretty
specific about what you were doing, so this may be redundant -- would
be to make sure you really _did_ plug into the line out jack of the
card and not the headphone jack. Many sound cards either combine the
two and let you switch them in software, or they're unclearly marked.
I've probably lost hours of my life staring at sound card jacks to try
to make out the little etched symbols, and then trying to figure out
if each one refers to the hole above it or below it.

Headphone levels are *a lot* louder than line level, and if you're
sending a phone-level signal to the mixer where it's expecting a line
signal, it'd be very common to get the sorts of distortion that you're
talking about.

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links

<*> The Podcast FAQ
    http://www.podcastfaq.com/

<*> The Official Podcasters Wiki
    http://www.podcasterswiki.com/

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Group get-together

Host a free online

conference on IM.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

.

__,_._,___

JM Campbell

Mar 21, 2008, 5:36:12 PM3/21/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:58 AM, JM Campbell <geek4x4@...> wrote:
> >
> > I'm wondering if this may be some kind of anti-piracy protection in
> > Vista that knows it is plugging into a mixer or recording device?
>
> No, sound cards aren't that smart yet. Vista does play those sorts of
> games with monitors and video, but an audio jack is an audio jack.
> (Unless it's digital audio. But never mind that.)
>
> The only thing I can think of to suggest -- and you were pretty
> specific about what you were doing, so this may be redundant -- would
> be to make sure you really _did_ plug into the line out jack of the
> card and not the headphone jack. Many sound cards either combine the
> two and let you switch them in software, or they're unclearly marked.
> I've probably lost hours of my life staring at sound card jacks to try
> to make out the little etched symbols, and then trying to figure out
> if each one refers to the hole above it or below it.
>
> Headphone levels are *a lot* louder than line level, and if you're
> sending a phone-level signal to the mixer where it's expecting a line
> signal, it'd be very common to get the sorts of distortion that you're
> talking about.

I think you got it right, Steve. documentation describes it as a
line-out, but I guess it is a headphone pot.

But after futzing around with it a couple hours. The simple solution
was just to plug into pot 5 and 6 instead of 3 or 4
http://es.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/mackie+dfx12+mixer+analogique+12+entree\
s.JPG

I plugged into the L port of pot 5 and everything sounds fine.

So far a really good mixer, I haven't played with the effects yet, but
I like it so far. And it's awesome to play audio and have the person
on skype hear it.

-JMCampbell

__._,_.___

YahooGroups Podcasters Links