[podcasters] The Levalator - Last Call

Doug Kaye

Nov 12, 2006, 8:29:23 AM11/12/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

We're getting ready to wrap up the next release of The Levelator, our
free software that solves all those nasty uneven-level problems in
your podcast. If you haven't already downloaded The Levelator, just
go to http://www.gigavox.com/. Did I already say, It's Free!?

If you've already used The Levelator and think it should be able to
do a better job on your show, please send me a test-case .wav
or .aiff file that illustrates the problem you think The Levelator
should be able to solve. I need short (<4MB) files *before* being
Levelated. Just the input/source files, not the output.

If you've had any other problems, questions or feedback, please visit
The Levelator Feedback and Support Forum at http://www.gigavox.com/
forum/viewforum.php?id=15

Thanks.

...doug

Doug Kaye
GigaVox Media (gigavox.com)
The Conversations Network (conversationsnetwork.org)
do...@rds.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Y! Messenger

Files to share?

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Craig Patchett

Nov 12, 2006, 7:40:37 PM11/12/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Doug Kaye <doug@...> wrote:

> If you've had any other problems, questions or feedback, please visit
> The Levelator Feedback and Support Forum at http://www.gigavox.com/
> forum/viewforum.php?id=15

Hey Doug, the biggest problem I've had with the Levelator is the inability to define the noise
floor...it needs to either be more intelligent in recognizing the floor or offer some sort of
control to tweak it.

I'd post this at Gigavox but I haven't been able to get access to the forums.

Craig

Craig Patchett <craig@godcast.org>
The GodCast Network at godcast.org
Behind the Scenes at btscast.com (it's back!)

__._,_.___
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Y! Messenger

Files to share?

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Michael W. Dean

Nov 13, 2006, 4:20:28 AM11/13/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

I LOVE the Levalator ! Thank you Doug.

One request for next edition: Drag and drop batch processing. Pretty
please?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Joel Haasnoot

Nov 13, 2006, 5:26:03 AM11/13/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

A browse dialog would be great :) Also, it'd be nice to be able to name the
output file yourself. I love the drag & drop also though, so maybe if both
were availible that'd be great.

Joel

--
<=>< <=>< <=><
Joel Haasnoot
> Host of the TG^3 Review
> Geek & Programmer

__._,_.___
Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Will Brown

Nov 13, 2006, 6:43:06 AM11/13/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

> On 11/13/06, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@yahoo.com> wrote:

> One request for next edition: Drag and drop batch processing. Pretty
> please?

Hey Michael,
Drag and drop batch processing is already available.
Just select multiple files and drag them over. No need to drag one at a time!

Will

--
http://www.CloudyDayArt.com
Poetry - People - Podcast

__._,_.___
Y! Messenger

Send pics quick

Share photos while

you IM friends.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

ronharpervoice

Nov 13, 2006, 9:06:39 AM11/13/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, Doug Kaye <doug@...> wrote:

> We're getting ready to wrap up the next release of The Levelator, our
> free software that solves all those nasty uneven-level problems in
> your podcast. If you haven't already downloaded The Levelator, just
> go to http://www.gigavox.com/. Did I already say, It's Free!?

Hey Doug: Did the file dissappear? I clicked on the link and got an
empty directory! I'd love to try the program
Ron

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Y! Messenger

Send pics quick

Share photos while

you IM friends.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

houseofchic

Nov 13, 2006, 12:17:21 PM11/13/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Patchett" <craig@...> wrote:
> Hey Doug, the biggest problem I've had with the Levelator is the inability to define the
noise
> floor...it needs to either be more intelligent in recognizing the floor or offer some sort
of
> control to tweak it.
>
> I'd post this at Gigavox but I haven't been able to get access to the forums.
>
> Craig

> Craig Patchett <craig@...>

> The GodCast Network at godcast.org
> Behind the Scenes at btscast.com (it's back!)

Hi Doug,

I'll second Craig's floor problem. The first few times I used the Levelator it worked like a
dream, but last week's show had it 'pumping' the noise harder than college kids in the
back seat. I presumed I'd messed up my noise reduction so went back and re-did it, but
that didn't work so I had to go back to the old fashioned pre-Levelator by hand method.

Between that show and my previous use I had performed some system tinkering which
meant i had to re-install the app so I don't know if you guys have made any changes since
the initial release?

Thanks anyway, I'll be giving it another whirl come Wednesday so fingers crossed.

________
MarBelle

http://www.directorsnotes.com
The What, How & Why of Independent Filmmaking

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Send pics quick

Share photos while

you IM friends.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Nov 13, 2006, 3:01:32 PM11/13/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/13/06, houseofchic <houseofchic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I'll second Craig's floor problem. The first few times I used the Levelator it worked like a
> dream, but last week's show had it 'pumping' the noise harder than college kids in the
> back seat. I presumed I'd messed up my noise reduction so went back and re-did it, but
> that didn't work so I had to go back to the old fashioned pre-Levelator by hand method.

I've been meaning to write up a detailed review of the Levelator (as
Doug requested at PME) but haven't put it up yet. I've mostly just
been lazy on getting the right sample files together. Now that I know
there's a new version at the doorstep, I may just wait for that one so
that my review isn't obsolete as soon as I post it. >8->

Here's a summary: My impression of it so far is that it makes a great
machete but a flawed scalpel. On sources where the sound levels
really are all over the place, it works like a dream. E.g., the panel
presentation that Evo and I gave at the Expo. My iRiver and Giant
Squid mic were on the table, and picked me and Evo up great, but of
course didn't get audience questions very loudly. The Levelator
evened it all out so that the audience sounds as clear as the
speakers. And without any significant change in noise, too. That's
*very* impressive. (You can hear that here:
http://www.escapeartists.info/WrittenWord/index.html)

However, when I tried it on a few Escape Pod story readings from
myself and other people, the Levelator didn't help and actually made
them sound slightly worse. These were files that were already fairly
even in their sound levels, and just needed some final mastering. I
could hear distinct pumping in these files -- not the noise floor, but
the signal. There were volume transitions with distinct boundaries in
the middle of sentences of dialogue. (Doug, I'll get you a sample
file as soon as I get time to replicate my experiment again and chop
out a representative piece. The average WAV/AIFF files I work with
are around 200 MB, so I doubt you want the whole thing.) >8-> I can't
be sure what it's doing since it's a black box, but I suspect it has
too slow an attack, and that whatever it's doing to set the threshold
is kind of twitchy and kicks in when it doesn't need to.

I have some standard presets in Soundtrack Pro that I use for almost
everything. (Compressor with a 4:1 ratio and a -15dB RMS threshold
on auto-gain; then a limiter with no gain and a -0.3dB ceiling just to
prevent clipping.) These presets don't produce sound artifacts that I
can detect. The Levelator did. My conclusion is that the Levelator
-- at least in this iteration -- is an incredible rescue tool, but not
a mastering tool.

I also have issues with the round-tripping -- I *want* my intro/outro
at somewhat different levels from the story, so to use this tool
regularly I'd have to export the story into .AIFF, run it through the
Levelator, re-import it, then finish mixing and export the whole thing
again. That's too much work vs. my current process with real-time
effects.

And quite honestly, the total lack of parameters is a showstopper for
the way I like to work. I want to know what it did. I understand why
there's no ratio or threshold per se, but I want to be able to set the
noise floor level, attack/release times and knee shapes, the segment
size for the analysis, the degree of permitted deviation from the norm
(I guess you'd equate that to the compression ratio) and especially
the final RMS volume.

I understand that there is an official "correct" level and sound
envelope for IT Conversations and other Gigavox properties, and that's
great, but it's not necessarily the one I want to use. I have
different content. Everyone has different content. Mine might need
more or less dynamic range. If you want to hide the parameters for an
average user that's a fine idea, but the parameters should accessible
behind a menu or something for users like me. If they weren't needed,
sound processors wouldn't have any knobs. Just an on/off switch.

Anyway, that's my take. It sounds negative on balance, but I think
the Levelator has a lot of potential for the future (and immediate
practical worth for *some* kinds of files), and I look forward to
seeing what it becomes. I certainly agree that there's nothing else
quite like it on the market, and that for a free tool it has
incredible value.

...Hmmm. Okay. Maybe this wasn't so much a "summary." >8-> In any
case, Doug, I will get you those files soon. And I'll eventually put
my samples up for others to hear what I'm talking about, too.

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

__._,_.___
Y! Messenger

Quick file sharing

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

George L Smyth

Nov 13, 2006, 5:18:12 PM11/13/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

--- Stephen Eley <SFEley@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/13/06, houseofchic <houseofchic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I'll second Craig's floor problem. The first few times I used the Levelator
> it worked like a
> > dream, but last week's show had it 'pumping' the noise harder than college
> kids in the
> > back seat. I presumed I'd messed up my noise reduction so went back and
> re-did it, but
> > that didn't work so I had to go back to the old fashioned pre-Levelator by
> hand method.
>
> I've been meaning to write up a detailed review of the Levelator (as
> Doug requested at PME) but haven't put it up yet. I've mostly just
> been lazy on getting the right sample files together. Now that I know
> there's a new version at the doorstep, I may just wait for that one so
> that my review isn't obsolete as soon as I post it. >8->

[large clip]

> Anyway, that's my take. It sounds negative on balance, but I think
> the Levelator has a lot of potential for the future (and immediate
> practical worth for *some* kinds of files), and I look forward to
> seeing what it becomes. I certainly agree that there's nothing else
> quite like it on the market, and that for a free tool it has
> incredible value.

Steve -

Thanks for the information. Your review did not sound negative at all to me.
I think that the takeaway here, as is usually the case, is that this is an
excellent tool for some things, and lacks in other cases. Few things do
everything well, so the key here is to understand when to use it, and when not
to. I have found success with it, but then I've only used it in cases where
things vary greatly, and it's pulled me out of a real hole in one instance.

Cheers -

george

-------------------------------------

Eclectic Mix: http://EclecticMix.com

__._,_.___
Y! Messenger

Talk it up - free!

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

houseofchic

Nov 14, 2006, 11:06:50 AM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Eley" <SFEley@...> wrote:

> I have some standard presets in Soundtrack Pro that I use for almost
> everything. (Compressor with a 4:1 ratio and a -15dB RMS threshold
> on auto-gain; then a limiter with no gain and a -0.3dB ceiling just to
> prevent clipping.) These presets don't produce sound artifacts that I
> can detect. The Levelator did. My conclusion is that the Levelator
> -- at least in this iteration -- is an incredible rescue tool, but not
> a mastering tool.

Sorry to jump in at a tangent with a question that I suspect will open me up to ridicule, but
if you don't ask...

You were saying that you apply your favourite presets in Soundtrack Pro for the show, do
you add them at the end to the final master output track or various shades of them to the
different tracks in your project before the mix down?

Also, as I record my interviews as a mixed minus, me and the guests on different channels,
before using the Levalator I used to export the mixed project before converting it to mono
as my voice is on the left and the guest's is on the right. Am I missing something in the
STP multitrack project that would enable each side to be sent to both left and right before
the mix down?

Cheers

________
MarBelle
Directors Notes

The What, How & Why of Independent Filmmaking

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

David Van Nuys

Nov 14, 2006, 10:51:08 AM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Doug,

I love the Levelator, too, but also agree with Doug's comment about
the noise floor. It brings up the noise where there was no
detectable noise before.

I don't know if that is a technical inevitability or if it something
that can be improved upon.

David

"Dr. Dave"
www.ShrinkRapRadio.com
shrink@shrinkrapradio.com

"It's all in your mind..."

__._,_.___
Y! Messenger

Instant smiles

Share photos while

you IM friends.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Nov 14, 2006, 3:25:28 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/14/06, houseofchic <houseofchic@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Sorry to jump in at a tangent with a question that I suspect will open me up to ridicule, but
> if you don't ask...

Man, am I perceived as *that* prickly? You asked a fair question.
I'm tetchy about status games, not sound geekery. >8->

> You were saying that you apply your favourite presets in Soundtrack Pro for the show, do
> you add them at the end to the final master output track or various shades of them to the
> different tracks in your project before the mix down?

It depends. I *usually* apply the effects to the audio files (.stap
files) as I'm working with them, because I like to hear them at the
final volume while I edit. I do it in the effects tab and then
"Bounce Realtime to Action" as the final step after I'm done with
everything else.

If I'm not doing a lot of editing, though, I may not bother with that
and simply do it in the project. I wouldn't do it on the final
output, though. Instead I'd do it on each track *or* create a bus
with a few tracks for the effect, because there are some components of
my podcast -- my opening/closing music and the computer voice that
speaks the titles -- that are already as loud as I want them to be,
and I don't want them compressed.

> Also, as I record my interviews as a mixed minus, me and the guests on different channels,
> before using the Levalator I used to export the mixed project before converting it to mono
> as my voice is on the left and the guest's is on the right. Am I missing something in the
> STP multitrack project that would enable each side to be sent to both left and right before
> the mix down?

Possibly. Each track has a stereo pan control which you can use to
control the left-right balance. It's the little "L ---- R" slider
near the track name and volume slider. There's also a "Stereo Spread"
effect which can be used to simulate a stereo effect where there
wasn't one before by separating frequencies. It doesn't sound great,
but it does produce stereo.

How you'd use either one depends on whether your source was two
separate wave files, or one stereo wave file with absolute separation.
If the latter, you could also convert to mono in the waveform editor
before opening it up in your project, if mono's what you want. (I
prefer at least a little bit of stereo separation in interviews, but
that's largely just a matter of personal taste.)

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

Y! Messenger

Talk it up - free!

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Carl D Cravens

Nov 14, 2006, 4:07:28 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Stephen Eley wrote:

> Man, am I perceived as *that* prickly?

Yes, lately that is the perception I'm getting.

] I will certainly attempt to do this Steve. However I did have one
] question about its length.

] Your current promo is twice as long, six times bigger in file size
] and you spend most of it talking about other podcasts.

] So I'm just curious as to how it comes about that mine is to long?

Steve> Heh. Nice. Ask for feedback, then argue with the people who
Steve> give it to you.
...>
Steve> My podcast promo has nothing to do with it. The subject here is you.

Looks like prickles to me. He asks an honest question and you give
him crap about it. He wasn't arguing, he was asking for input because
your advice was contradicting what he saw in practice.

Then when he tries to make a joke about trying to please you, because
you're obviously prickly and hard to please, you fly off the handle.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@phoenyx.net)
The thoughtless are rarely wordless. - Howard W Newton

__._,_.___
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

All together now

Host a free online

conference on IM.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Nov 14, 2006, 4:50:23 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/14/06, Carl D Cravens <raven@phoenyx.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Stephen Eley wrote:
>
> > Man, am I perceived as *that* prickly?
>
> Yes, lately that is the perception I'm getting.

Pretty sure this has all been settled, and all is well... check the
resolution of the threads you quote.

We all have our hot-button issues. I myself have flown off the handle
more than once on this list, that's for sure. You just have to poke
me with the right variety of stick.

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
++++++++++++++++++

MWS Media:
Inexpensive web hosting and other services to encourage the DIY ethic
for independent artists and small business. Because doing it yourself
should never mean going it alone.
http://www.mwsmedia.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Y! Messenger

Instant hello

Chat over IM with

group members.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Scott Parent

Nov 14, 2006, 4:49:28 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Could this not be done offlist? Do we really need a thread about this in the
group?

On 11/14/06, Carl D Cravens <raven@phoenyx.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Stephen Eley wrote:
>
> > Man, am I perceived as *that* prickly?
>
> Yes, lately that is the perception I'm getting.
>
> ] I will certainly attempt to do this Steve. However I did have one
> ] question about its length.
>
> ] Your current promo is twice as long, six times bigger in file size
> ] and you spend most of it talking about other podcasts.
>
> ] So I'm just curious as to how it comes about that mine is to long?
>
> Steve> Heh. Nice. Ask for feedback, then argue with the people who
> Steve> give it to you.
> ...>
> Steve> My podcast promo has nothing to do with it. The subject here is
> you.
>
> Looks like prickles to me. He asks an honest question and you give
> him crap about it. He wasn't arguing, he was asking for input because
> your advice was contradicting what he saw in practice.
>
> Then when he tries to make a joke about trying to please you, because
> you're obviously prickly and hard to please, you fly off the handle.
>
> --

> Carl D Cravens (raven@phoenyx.net <raven%40phoenyx.net>)

> The thoughtless are rarely wordless. - Howard W Newton

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Y! Messenger

Instant hello

Chat in real-time

with your friends.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Michael W. Dean

Nov 14, 2006, 5:29:14 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

--- In podcasters@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Wayne Selznick"
<mwselznick@...> wrote:

> On 11/14/06, Carl D Cravens <raven@...> wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Stephen Eley wrote:
> >
> > > Man, am I perceived as *that* prickly?
> >
> > Yes, lately that is the perception I'm getting.
>
> Pretty sure this has all been settled, and all is well... check the
> resolution of the threads you quote.
>
> We all have our hot-button issues. I myself have flown off the handle
> more than once on this list, that's for sure. You just have to poke
> me with the right variety of stick.
>
> --
> Matthew Wayne Selznick
> ++++++++++++++++++

===================

(MWD makes popcorn and settles back in his chair to watch.)

__._,_.___
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Nov 14, 2006, 5:40:55 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/14/06, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@yahoo.com> wrote:
> (MWD makes popcorn and settles back in his chair to watch.)

I think you get your money back, Michael... Scott's right. :-)

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
++++++++++++++++++

Author, Editor, Podcaster
http://www.mattselznick.com

MWS Media:
Inexpensive web hosting and other services to encourage the DIY ethic
for independent artists and small business. Because doing it yourself
should never mean going it alone.
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Y! Messenger

Make free calls

Call PC-to-PC

worldwide- free!

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Paul Puri

Nov 14, 2006, 6:04:45 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/14/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/14/06, Michael W. Dean <kittyfeet70@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > (MWD makes popcorn and settles back in his chair to watch.)
>
> I think you get your money back, Michael... Scott's right. :-)

I think we've all had our moments. Myself included.
:>O
No really.

I think there are some on this list that have a larger presence, so it
becomes somewhat of a celebrity type thing. Although that may not be the
intent, occasionally we get the odd celebrity gossip type thread. None of us
is really worth that much attention.
;>)

Paul Puri

Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.
http://podcastguild.com/

Promotion without shame.
Podcasting Announcements

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Mur Lafferty

Nov 14, 2006, 6:17:40 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/14/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@gmail.com> wrote:

> We all have our hot-button issues. I myself have flown off the handle
> more than once on this list, that's for sure. You just have to poke
> me with the right variety of stick.

DRM ROCKS - and the only way to get ahead in this world is traditional
publishing and record producing!

*runs away*

--
~~~
Mur Lafferty

__._,_.___
Y! Messenger

Instant hello

Chat in real-time

with your friends.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Nov 14, 2006, 8:00:38 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/14/06, Mur Lafferty <mightymur@gmail.com> wrote:
> DRM ROCKS - and the only way to get ahead in this world is traditional
> publishing and record producing!
>
> *runs away*

You're a silly little thing, aren't you, Mur? I know all those issues
are might complicated, but don't you worry your pretty little head
over it -- leave it to the men folks to sort it all out.

**hauls ass in the opposite direction!!!**

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
++++++++++++++++++
[...]

skywa...@aol.com

Nov 14, 2006, 8:00:13 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Poke...Poke
Posted by: "Matthew Wayne Selznick" _mwselznick@gmail.com _
(mailto:mwselznick@gmail.com?Subject= Re:%20Is%20Steve%20Eley%20prickly?) _mwselz _
(http://profiles.yahoo.com/mwselz)
Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:23 pm (PST)
On 11/14/06, Carl D Cravens <_raven@phoenyx.rav_ (mailto:raven@phoenyx.net) >

wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Stephen Eley wrote:
>
> > Man, am I perceived as *that* prickly?
>
> Yes, lately that is the perception I'm getting.

Pretty sure this has all been settled, and all is well... check the
resolution of the threads you quote.

We all have our hot-button issues. I myself have flown off the handle
more than once on this list, that's for sure. You just have to poke
me with the right variety of stick.

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
++++++++++++++++++
Author, Editor, Podcaster

MWS Media:
Inexpensive web hosting and other services to encourage the DIY ethic
for independent artists and small business. Because doing it yourself
should never mean going it alone.

_http://www.mwsmediahttp_ (http://www.mwsmedia.com/)

----------- "Good Tea. Nice House," Lt. Worf, ST:TNG -------------
Maggie Bonham, author of twenty-two books

Author of Prophecy of Swords and the upcoming Runestone of Teiwas,
published by Yard Dog Press (http://www.yarddogpress.com/) . Author of the
upcoming Lachlei, published by Dragon Moon Press
(http://www.dragonmoonpress.com/) . Prophecy of Swords is available at
Podiobooks.com(http://www.podiobooks.com/) .

Host of the SCI FI Traveling Road Show
(http://www.scifitravelingroadshow.com/) .

A Dog's Wisdom
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Designer Dogs
Website: www.shadowhelm.net
Journal: http://shadowhelm.livejournal.com/

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Les Howard

Nov 14, 2006, 8:05:25 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Scott Parent wrote:

> Could this not be done offlist? Do we really need a thread about this
> in the
> group?

I agree. This should not be a thread on the group... you can't ask a
question like that without making it a poll ;)

Les

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Nov 14, 2006, 8:12:40 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/14/06, skywarrior3@aol.com <skywarrior3@aol.com> wrote:
> Poke...Poke

Nope - not that one! Keep trying!

:-)

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
++++++++++++++++++
Author, Editor, Podcaster

MWS Media:
Inexpensive web hosting and other services to encourage the DIY ethic
for independent artists and small business. Because doing it yourself
should never mean going it alone.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Y! Messenger

PC-to-PC calls

Call your friends

worldwide - free!

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Doug Kaye

Nov 14, 2006, 8:20:50 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

> 4. Re: The Levalator - Last Call
> Posted by: "David Van Nuys" shrink@shrinkrapradio.com vannuysd

> Doug,
>
> I love the Levelator, too, but also agree with Doug's comment about
> the noise floor. It brings up the noise where there was no
> detectable noise before.
>
> I don't know if that is a technical inevitability or if it something
> that can be improved upon.
>
> David

David (and others):

1. If you have examples where you think The Levelator should be able
to do a better job, such as with your noise-floor problems,*PLEASE*
see if you can reduce the source file to <4MB and email them to me,
or put them on a server somewhere so we can download them. We're
trying to run every file we can find through the next version of The
Levelator, which we're getting ready to lock down for release.

2. Thanks to those who have already sent us their examples, we've
made some noticeable improvements, but don't let that keep you from
submitting more examples.

3. As to the requests for knobs and levers, let me assure you that
we've had that same discussion internally -- over and over again. I'm
one who initially wanted them, so let me explain from that
perspective. When we added what seems like the obvious knobs, *it
doesn't help.* I know that seems counterintuitive, but The Levelator
simply doesn't work as you might think it does. Let me also give you
this analogy: When automatic transmissions were introduced, everyone
wanted to be able to shift them. The idea was that a good driver
would know better, and many people therefore kept their manual
transmissions. In September I bought a Prius, which is only available
as an automatic. There's no way I could manage the powerplant as well
as the computer in that car. I also own an airplane, and there's no
way I can fly as accurately and smoothly as the autopilot, depressing
as that may be. :-)

Having said that, you should certainly make your audio sound as good
as you can before submitting it to The Levelator. It's not designed
to solve everything. For example, Steve said he wants his music to be
quieter than the body of the show, and The Levelator will un-do that.
In general, if you want to preserve the dynamic range of your
program, The Levelator is not a good tool for you. It's designed to
solve the specific problems of varying levels in interviews, panel
discussions, Skype calls, etc. I use it in those situations. I do not
use it for everything, just like I don't use any other tool for every
type of audio.

For those of you who will be at PodCamp West this weekend, I'll be
available to talk more about The Levelator.

...doug

Doug Kaye
The Conversations Network (conversationsnetwork.org)
GigaVox Media (gigavox.com)
do...@rds.com

__._,_.___
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Instant smiles

Share photos while

you IM friends.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Carl D Cravens

Nov 14, 2006, 8:50:05 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Scott Parent wrote:

> Could this not be done offlist? Do we really need a thread about
> this in the group?

You're right, that should have been off-list. Sorry.

--
Carl D Cravens (raven@phoenyx.net)

Hey! Don't pick up that Dog! !@#$*!?% NO TERRIER

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Y! Messenger

Group get-together

Host a free online

conference on IM.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Nov 14, 2006, 10:52:26 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Y'all are just so precious.

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

Y! Messenger

Quick file sharing

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Matthew Wayne Selznick

Nov 14, 2006, 11:06:54 PM11/14/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/14/06, Stephen Eley <SFEley@gmail.com> wrote:

> Y'all are just so precious.

That is an observation of godlike insight!

(okay, I'm done, I promise.)

--
Matthew Wayne Selznick
++++++++++++++++++
Author, Editor, Podcaster
http://www.mattselznick.com

MWS Media:
Inexpensive web hosting and other services to encourage the DIY ethic
for independent artists and small business. Because doing it yourself
should never mean going it alone.
http://www.mwsmedia.com

Y! Messenger

Instant smiles

Share photos while

you IM friends.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

Paul Puri

Nov 15, 2006, 12:28:34 AM11/15/06
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 11/14/06, Matthew Wayne Selznick <mwselznick@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is an observation of godlike insight!
>
> (okay, I'm done, I promise.)

DIY sucks!!

*hauls ass in the other direction as passerby's watch in awe wondering how a
man of Pauls size could run that fast*

Paul Puri

Listen to Podcasts. No iPod necessary!
The Podcast Guild Planning Committee.